Double doors vs single door

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Steve H
Pilgrim

Double doors vs single door

Postby Steve H » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm having a pit built its 24x60 off set 1/4 in main chamber 1/2in fire box never cooked on pit this size my dilemma is double doors or single doors do any of you competition cookers have suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Double doors vs single door

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:42 pm

If you ever plan on cooking a whole hog then I would go one door. My Hybrid comp cooker is one door and counter weighted I do not have any issues with it. The smaller one I am building now has a 24" x .375 wall cooking chamber 55" long I put two doors on it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm

The advantage to having a single door is (like K.A.M. said) you have better access to the grate. I have a 30"x60" offset and I prefer 2 doors mainly because when I have to access a small portion of the cooking surface (to put meat on, take meat off, glaze meat, etc.) I don't lose as much heat only having one door open. I rarely have both doors open at the same time unless I'm taking all the meat off and I'm done cooking.
Steve H
Pilgrim

Postby Steve H » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for the info fellows haven't every giving any thought about cooking whole hog that would be way over my cooking ability. Think I'll stick with just the butts and ribs and some yard bird think i'll go with the double doors like Finatic suggested like the ideal of keeping the heat in the pit. Thanks again guys. :D
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:17 pm

My door is 50" wide on my comp cooker "Bahama Mama". Her recovery time is quite fast when the door is open then closed for say briskets or ribs. The only time I suffer much is loading her down with a lot of chicken because it requires a lot of time to load all three grates. The trick is to learn how to get in and get out in a timely fashion. ;)
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”