Is an extra 6" worth the money?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Texanick
Pilgrim

Re: Is an extra 6" worth the money?

Postby Texanick » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:46 am

Why do you suggest single door. Is there an advantage of single over double?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:40 am

Take your supposed 40" pit..... subtract 2" on each end for flanging and 2" in the middle for flanging. That leaves you with 34" for two doors - each door opening being 17".

Most racks of ribs and briskets are typically longer than 17". Reaching in with gloved hands takes up room too. Bottom line, you'll be trying to pissant everything into a very tight space. With a single door you'll have more freedom to move things around. Even on a 48" long pit I would go with a single door. You can always add a counterweight if it gets too heavy.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:29 am

If you ever want to cook a whole pig you will have room to do so. You will have more usable space with a single door on a 48" cooker. The one I am building now is a 24" x 55" it has two doors but only because I could squeak two 25" doors out of it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Texanick wrote:I can't go to the 24x48, but could probably go to 20x48. My concern on adding length is having a large difference in temp from one end to the other. Would y'all recommend a 20x48 or 24x36 (the 24x36 is a few hundred dollars more, I think).

I normally won't smoke more than a brisket, few beer can chickens, and some sausage at once. Or a couple turkeys at Thanksgiving.

If I go to 20x48, would y'all suggest double doors?

You wont have a temp issue if it is built right, last one I built was 24x60, very similar to KAM's in size, only veried 4-5 degrees from inlet at firebox to exit at exhaust. Cant believe I sold this whole setup for $2500.00 SMDH.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 609&type=3
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jerrykr USER_AVATAR
jerrykr
Pilgrim

Postby jerrykr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 am

of the 2 dimensions, I'd go with 24 dia. and skimp on the length if I had to. Even shorter, that will get you a bigger round cook chamber, more volume of hot air/smoke.

I have a Okla Joes 16 dia. offset and I love it for a Grill, but it's worthless as a stick burner.

listen to everyone --- save your pennies and get a 24x48. It's just a very good size.

that said, read up on stack placement, and flow, Aron Franklins book has a very good design IMHO.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”