new offset

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sinfony78
Rustler

new offset

Postby sinfony78 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:51 pm

so i've narrowed my choices down to 2 pits

1) yoder wichita - i really like the old school aesthetics of the round firebox, chamber, and exhaust. it's a very simple and clean look, and i like the minimalist appearance. the welds look super precise in all the pictures i've seen...the chimney exhaust is located at the top of the chamber, but they said that it can be moved down towards the center in between the grates for little cost, which i hear keeps heat distributed more evenly. some of the videos i've seen on youtube show that the differentials from one end to the other could be up to 50 degrees, so maybe having it lower would help that a bit. the firebox door does not look flanged, so in one video, i could see light peeking through the door when looking inside out. the heat plate is one single, heavy piece, therefore it is not adjustable. however, very tight look, lots of cooking space with two levels, 75 year warranty, and many positive reviews (altho i've not read negative reviews when it comes to cookers at these price points)

2) lone star grillz - if it looked like the wichita, i'd have jumped on this immediately. it's a larger smoker at 24" vs. 20", so the top cooking grate is larger. there is adjustability when it comes to the heat plates, so there can be variability in temps as each plate is adjusted. the welds don't look as clean as the yoder, but i'm just going by pictures. however, there are very many pros about this offset - the large, flanged firebox appears to very solid, and you can cook on the skillet without fear of losing too much heat (based on their sales pitch), it is a 24" diameter chamber, so there is a lot of cooking real estate on 2 levels, and the entire cooking chamber can have water added to the bottom to allow for moisture and is closed off with a valve. i can also add temp probes as well as a handle for only 10 bucks, so small customizations are not very pricey

when it comes to price, the yoder costs a bit more since it has to be shipped and the lone star can be picked up locally...i'll also be wanting to add a charcoal basket and a second thermometer on whatever i choose

i have a feeling i'll be picking myself up a lone star, but wait time is 3 months; 5 weeks for a yoder
i may drive out there one day soon so i can see this cooker up close
jammoney USER_AVATAR
jammoney
Wrangler

Re: new offset

Postby jammoney » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:00 am

There's a reason Lonestar lead-time is 3 months! They are that good and would vote for the Lonestar Grill anyday! Personally prefer the stack coming out of the center of the cook chamber.
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:03 am

I've had a lot of good food come out of my Lonestar Grillz...would recommend them to anyone. Spend the extra on the stainless shelf on the front and the storage boxes on the back side. if you can swing it, I would have like to have gotten the warming box and the vertical smoker box too. Maybe next time LOL
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:58 am

I have not cooked on either smokers. But looking at the specs the Lone Star has more fire box volume and a larger (5") smoke stack than the Yoder (two key factors). IMO it looks like the Lone Star will be easier to maintain temps that the Yoder.
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm

for those that own a lone star, how old are your cookers?
there is a 5 year warranty, but other manufacturers seem to have much longer warranties
TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Have a 24x48 lone star offset. Great pit and I'd recommend to anyone looking. Fabrication is top notch, and it's build in TEXAS! I've had mine for 10 months now. Looks as good as the day I picked it up. Don't let the wait make the decision for you; that is nothing compared to how long you have it.
jbgates
Pilgrim

Postby jbgates » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:14 am

The best tools make the job easier.
Lonestargrillz 24x60" offset pipe smoker.
No smoke leaks, even temps.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”