Curious and can it be fixed

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

iamimdoc
Pilgrim

Curious and can it be fixed

Postby iamimdoc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:12 am

I have an old (1970's?) Brinkmann Electric Bullet water smoker (it was my father's - hence, emotional attachment)

I have a metal plate with multiple holes (using for cooking veggies on the grill). I inverted the plate over the electric element and place wood of choice on the plate. Wood doesn't touch element but creates a lot of smoke (no fire). Seems like a good idea although presumably not the design of the device.

Temperature near the grills for food is ~ 225 while cooking. The thermometer is _pretty_ accurate based on putting it in boiling water and getting about 205. So maybe I am really smoking at 220+/-.

Cooked chicken is moist and tender but half chickens cook in ~ 1 hour - even faster at times - seems way too fast. Sausages are getting over done in 45' or so. Bigger pieces of pork (3-4 pounds) done in < 2 hours.

So,

why does meat cook so fast?
anyway to fix it?
or just time to upgrade and move on?

Thanks in advance
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Curious and can it be fixed

Postby BluDawg » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:50 pm

225 is not the be all end all cook temp I don't run my pits under 275 unless I'm makin bacon. Typically I cook 300-350. As long as it is putting out quality product that you are happy with just roll with what the pit gives you and say thank you to the BBQ gods.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”