Question about Offsets

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steamvalve88 USER_AVATAR
SteamValve88
Pilgrim

Question about Offsets

Postby SteamValve88 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 pm

I've heard that on an offset smoker the temperature should be adjusted by the firebox damper and the chimney should be full open to prevent creosote build-up. Yet, on my Weber kettle, I use the top vent as well as the bottom vent for control. Why is this? Does this only apply to wood burning? Is the purpose of the chimney damper simply to keep rain and critters out? :dont:
Also, is the height of the chimney important? Does taller=better draft? Do I even want a good draft? :? I need some expert insight here.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Question about Offsets

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 am

SteamValve88 wrote:I've heard that on an offset smoker the temperature should be adjusted by the firebox damper and the chimney should be full open to prevent creosote build-up. Yet, on my Weber kettle, I use the top vent as well as the bottom vent for control. Why is this? Does this only apply to wood burning? :dont:
Also, is the height of the chimney important? Does taller=better draft? Do I even want a good draft? :? I need some expert insight here.

I've heard that on an offset smoker the temperature should be adjusted by the firebox damper and the chimney should be full open to prevent creosote build-up.
This is true unless the cooker was designed with a larger exhaust so that trimming temps could be done with it.

Yet, on my Weber kettle, I use the top vent as well as the bottom vent for control. Why is this? Does this only apply to wood burning?
Because this is the way you learned how to use it?
The only time I move my exhausts on my Weber Kettles or WSM's is to open them to use for a cook, I never adjust temps with them it is always intake adjustment.

Is the purpose of the chimney damper simply to keep rain and critters out?
For the most part yes.

Also, is the height of the chimney important? Does taller=better draft? :?
Yes, height and diameter are an important part to balancing out a cookers draft. Taller equals better draft to a certain point then it starts to work against you because as the smoke climbs it cools and gets heavier causing the draft to slow and build up in the cooker.

Do I even want a good draft?
Yes, without a good draft you are left with cold stale smoke.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:02 am

That just about covers it. Solid answers KAM.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:43 am

I cook on Sputnik( the Weber OTS) like I cook on Beulah (the offset) adj the intake to control the burn exhaust WFO to expel the nasties and keep a positive draft flow. IDK where you got your info at but I'd ask fer my money back.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
steamvalve88 USER_AVATAR
SteamValve88
Pilgrim

Postby SteamValve88 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Well I'll be a horse's....So I've been using my kettle wrong all these years? :oops: I'll have to try out this new bottom-vent-only system. The charcoal goes on the bottom grate, right? :) Thanks for the tips K.A.M and Blu
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 am

SteamValve88 wrote:Well I'll be a horse's....So I've been using my kettle wrong all these years? :oops: I'll have to try out this new bottom-vent-only system. The charcoal goes on the bottom grate, right? :) Thanks for the tips K.A.M and Blu

I never said you were doing it wrong, I merely answered with a question. " Because this is the way you learned how to use it?"
I see cookers run in many ways, some I agree with some I know if they changed their way they would be happier. Unless someone asks me I would never go up to them and say something like "Hey bud you're doing it all wrong" because if they are happy with their results that is all that matters. :D

Running the cooker with the intakes only is nothing new, you were just never taught to do it that way. :wink: :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:35 am

I borrowed a 250 gal propane tank offset from a friend that is a very good and successful cooker. He told me that I needed to adjust the exhaust and intake to get it to cook right. I opened the stack all the way and left it there and controlled with intake and wood feeding. It cooked great. So both can work but I prefer controlling with wood/fuel and intake air myself.

come to think of it, I believe he did have a nice coating of creosote.!
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 pm

Every smoker is different but it's true that most of them have the exhaust too small and that is one of the reasons they have to be wide open all the time. have never understood why builders put small stacks on big smokers.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”