Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
odb1967
Pilgrim
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:39 am
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Contact:

Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby odb1967 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 pm

I`ve heard from several sources on the Rutland gasket that as far as using it for sealing the smoker box or the fire box on my Oklahoma Joes smoker that it was not FOOD SAFE, does anyone have any positive feedback on this before I make a bad mistake, thanks from Florida...
User avatar
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw
Posts: 1920
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Edgewood, TX
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:31 am

odb1967 wrote:I`ve heard from several sources on the Rutland gasket that as far as using it for sealing the smoker box or the fire box on my Oklahoma Joes smoker that it was not FOOD SAFE, does anyone have any positive feedback on this before I make a bad mistake, thanks from Florida...


?????????????? Where did you hear that from? Rutland is a fine gasket for smokers.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
User avatar
odb1967
Pilgrim
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:39 am
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby odb1967 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:
odb1967 wrote:I`ve heard from several sources on the Rutland gasket that as far as using it for sealing the smoker box or the fire box on my Oklahoma Joes smoker that it was not FOOD SAFE, does anyone have any positive feedback on this before I make a bad mistake, thanks from Florida...


?????????????? Where did you hear that from? Rutland is a fine gasket for smokers.

I am disabled so I was un abled to go myself so my wife went to ace hardware in search of the Rutland gasket kit for me, not finding one I told her to get help from someone in that department and explain what I needed and what it was for and surely they would help her out, well the employee there informed her that was a bad idea and that several people had came in talking bout it saying it was not safe for food due to the fiberglass or something, well I would rather be safe than sorry you know, so that's is the info I got so a pro smoker I`m a seekin :whiteflag:
User avatar
k.a.m.
Outlaw
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:13 am

odb1967, Rutland gaskets are fine to use. The problem you might have is the cement is very brittle and normally does not stay on.
You might try here.
http://www.bbqgaskets.com/index.html
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Image

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
User avatar
odb1967
Pilgrim
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:39 am
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby odb1967 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:49 am

k.a.m. wrote:odb1967, Rutland gaskets are fine to use. The problem you might have is the cement is very brittle and normally does not stay on.
You might try here.
http://www.bbqgaskets.com/index.html
I hope this helps. :D

ganna check them out, how is the cement they supply does it hold?
User avatar
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw
Posts: 1920
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Edgewood, TX
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:44 am

I assume you are talking rope or flat fiberglass gaskets. They are used by a host of people. Rutland 77E or Imperial 2,000 degree cement will hold that sucker in place, but it IS brittle. I use high-temperature RTV silicone adhesive, which lasts longer.

I should mention that my offset has a tight metal to metal seal, so no need for anything. My Primo Oval XL uses flat seals with 1000* silicone sealer.
Last edited by Okie Sawbones on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
User avatar
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon
Posts: 3671
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Jonesboro,Tx
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:28 am

It is easier and less hassle in the long run to tweek the edge of the pit with a a cresent wrench so when you place a Dollar on the opening and close the door you can't pull out the dollar. No fiberglass rope, no loose fiberglass strands to land on your food, no glue to mess with when it comes loose. Just a nice tight metal to metal seal and you get to spend the money you would have For a temp fix on fun stuff like Whisky, Wimen, & Horses. :mrgreen:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
Image
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
cowboyupbbq
Pilgrim
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby cowboyupbbq » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40 pm

I've used high temp RTV- black, with success on an OK Joe offset, as well as other pits.

Clean the area an inch or so wide around the door with rubbing alcohol. Apply a bead of RTV to the cleaned area around the opening. Spray the door well with cooking spray (pam). Close tightly (for thin pits, and/or doors that don't fit tight, a ratchet strap works to bring it together), for 24 hours.

Eric
User avatar
k.a.m.
Outlaw
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:52 pm

cowboyupbbq wrote:I've used high temp RTV- black, with success on an OK Joe offset, as well as other pits.

Clean the area an inch or so wide around the door with rubbing alcohol. Apply a bead of RTV to the cleaned area around the opening. Spray the door well with cooking spray (pam). Close tightly (for thin pits, and/or doors that don't fit tight, a ratchet strap works to bring it together), for 24 hours.

Eric

I like the black RTV but prefer using Saran wrap on the surface for those times when the Pam does not repel the RTV and you weld your door shut, cutting it open is a lot harder than it seems. :lol:
I also would not use straps to compress the door, doing this squeezes your RTV out and while it does create a nice flat look when the door springs back you are left with having to apply another bead. I have found it is better to ease the door down without pressing on it and letting the doors weight compress the seal as needed.
These are just my thoughts.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Image

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Bytor
Pilgrim
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 am
Contact:

Re: Using the rutland gasket on your oklahoma joes smoker

Postby Bytor » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 am

I just ordered some of the rutland 96 for my chargriller. I also will be using some RTV silicone (red) instead of the cement that comes with it. I tried some of the fireplace caulk on my previous smoker and it became way too brittle.

Right now, I ended up getting some 1/4" aluminum angle and fastened it to the top piece of the smoker. I plan on applying the RTV and rope to this. Hopefully, this will be a weekend project for this week. I don't want to use the smoker until I get it all set up.

DJ

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests