Temperature of smoker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hadams
Pilgrim

Temperature of smoker

Postby hadams » Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 pm

I have a Klose 42" offset smoker with 20x20" firebox. I cannot the temp over 220 (and it takes 2 hours). I have the stack opposite the firebox open, the vent on the firebox open and the baffle open 45 degrees. Charcoal base with hickory wood. It should reach 250-350 within an hour.
Live in north Texas. South winds. Firebox faces north.

Any suggestions would appreciated.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Temperature of smoker

Postby BluDawg » Sun May 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Start out with a bigger fire. My basic start up is 2 chimneys of lump and 2 splits once those splits are burning clean I add another one. I leave the FB open until the first two splits are turnng to coals then I close it and let the heat get pulled through the pit and set a Split to preheat. When my temp get to about 150 I add the hot split. Normally take about 45 min to hit 300 and another 30 -40 min to settle in before I add the meat. Once my pit has setteld in it takes a split about every 45 min to maintain the coal bed
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon May 19, 2014 7:07 am

Most stick burners are very finicky too, usually work best when the firebox faces the direction the wind comes from. Not sure if this is part of your problem but almost all back yard smokers come with a exhaust that is too small diameter and too short to draft right.
One more thing, make sure the pit door seals well and the drain is closed or plugged for maximum draw through the firebox which will keep your sticks lit and the fire hot.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 am

You didn't say if you have heat problems when there is no wind. I built myself a simple U-Shaped plywood wall to block the wind from my firebox, which is not insulated BTW. It sure helps me on windy days. I will probably end up buying a Jambo back yard pit with an insulated firebox.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Hubster
Pilgrim

Postby Hubster » Mon May 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Turning the firebox air intake into the wind seems to work the best for me. Turning it the other way can make the flame go out making thick gray/white smoke that makes the food taste bad. My smoker will run around 275 on a very windy day and 325-350 with a breeze.

About the quickest I can get the smoker ready for meat is 1 1/2 hours.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

I cooked a brsiket the other day the wind was blowin 12-15 & gusting to 20 I find that turnin the pit so the wind breaks over the long side alllows me to control the fire, maintain my temps, and keep fuel consumption down. Turning to firebox in to the wind while it will keep the fire burning it also increases draft and raises fuel consumption on my pit it will be more than double.
Last edited by BluDawg on Mon May 19, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
mking7
Pilgrim

Postby mking7 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Is your wood VERY green? Also, use more charcoal when you start up. Most everyone I've helped to get started cooking shorts themselves on charcoal at startup. If you don't get a good coal bed at startup you'll fight her the rest of the day.

Finally, have you checked your thermometer? Maybe it's shot. You could be hotter than you think.
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 am

KISS Your cooking and temps comes from the coals. The smoke comes from the splits. You have to use "grey" charcoal base then add wood or let the splits burn down to a good base of coals. Get your base coals to temp then add splits. It can take a hour or longer in some cases to get a good bed of coals
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:03 am

I've got a homemade 500gal propane tank turned stick burner. I start my pit with a whole bag of charcoal. Just lay the bag in there, rip the top, and light it up. Throw sum pecan splits ontop of FB to warm up, and after 30 min or so I chunk in the wood. My FB is 30x30x30 and I'll pack it full of wood initially. It takes around 2 hrs to warm up the beast and get her settled in at the 250* point, but it's easy sailing from there. As others have mentioned, the coal base is the most important thing.
aaronbridges50
Pilgrim

Postby aaronbridges50 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:02 pm

I have a similar type smoker, A Oklahoma Joe, and the way I get my temp up fast is to start my fire using charcoal first, just as if you were starting a grill, once the coals are red , Being I can't find hardwood like oak logs, I use lump misquet, apple, hickory, and soak it in hot or cool water to control the burning speed, open vents and baffles fully, close the smoke and firebox, once it look like a train in your yard, adjust the firebox vent only to adjust your temp. try this and let me know how is was for your smoker.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”