Jambo vs Lang vs Lone Star Grillz 24x48

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:31 pm

So, I've done lots of looking to make my decision. Pros and cons. Main use is brisket, then whole or half chickens, then pork shoulders. Home entrtaining and lots of tailgating at football games out of town.

Jambo Backyard model - 24x48, insulated firebox on all sides but door, indirect heat, local to me (no shipping cost), 7ga(-3/16 cooking chamber material thickness), 2 doors, built in stops on the hinges and very clean work all around, 2 wheels, temp controlled at stack $1895

Lang - 24x48, fire box and cooking chamber is all 1/4 steel, reverse flow, $550 shipping to me from GA, 1 door, Butt hinges on doors, very mobile with 8" wheels and tires with front swivel casters, pinwheel dampers on fire box
$1895+$550(shipping)

Lonestar grillz - 24x48, fire box and cooking chamber is all 1/4 steel, traditional offset with tuning plates, local, 2 doors (im sure there is an option for $ for 1 door), built in stops on hinges very clean work all around, 4 solid caster wheels
$2050

All are great pits, does jambo cooking chamber thickness offset the insulated firebox?, but cost is great, and lots of great reviews, but none have a video to show it in use. Wheels would be easy to change to larger for a more mobile pit and add front wheels
Lang is great except the extra 550 for shipping
Lonestar grillz is great except the type of wheels for loading on a toy hauler to take anywhere, different set up to get larger wheels, would have to find out what that would cost. $350 for a 1/2" thick firebox, insulated is too much.

Thoughts? Thanks in Advance!
bbqbuilder USER_AVATAR
bbqbuilder
Wrangler

Re: Jambo vs Lang vs Lone Star Grillz 24x48

Postby bbqbuilder » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't know that much about the specific models in question, but I do know Jambo it top quality. I think Lang makes a good smoker but in my opinion the fabrication quality it's very good. 24x48, insulated firebox on all sides but door, for $1895?! I think that's a super good price. That's my .02
bbqbuilder

There's 2 types of people....people who talk and people who do.
http://txgates.com/bbq-smokers
http://www.facebook.com/txgates
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Out of those three, Jambo. But id also look at gatorpit as well. Great quality and great pits.

If your not deadset on an offset then look at pitmakers safe. I love mine and with the cart its very easy to move around.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm

You might as well add PittsbyJJ to your list. Jose builds a solid cooker and is priced right.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 pm

1. Does the Jambo come standard with the stainless shelf?

2. Does the Jambo have slide out grates?

3. How many grates does the Jambo have?

The 3/16" on the Jambo will have zero negative affect. People using it have mentioned how well it smokes in cold weather.

I think LoneStar has upgraded 8" wheels for like $75
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 pm

1. Yes, it comes with a stainless shelf
2. No, the grill grates do not slide out
3. Just the main cooking area
I plan on talking to Jamie about wheels as well. The more I read on all of these; I'm going to wait my turn for a Jambo. I called him a couple of days ago.
tpitbullx
Pilgrim

Postby tpitbullx » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 pm

I have been in the market for a smoker now and all those makers create awesome rigs. Just for visibility look into helotespits.com by San Antonio, TX. They seem to have a reasonably priced trailer pits with huge cooking area. Pits are usually 30" diameter and have three pullout shelves. Pictures online seem to portray a good pit but does not compare to Gator or Lonestargrillz. What are y'all's input on helotes pits? Thank you for any input
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am

I went by Helotes pits before buying my Gator pit, the pits I saw there the doors did not close flush. I looked at about 6 or so they had on their lot. Not to mention no one even greeted me and I was looking for about 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 pm

TrueTexan wrote:1. Yes, it comes with a stainless shelf
2. No, the grill grates do not slide out
3. Just the main cooking area
I plan on talking to Jamie about wheels as well. The more I read on all of these; I'm going to wait my turn for a Jambo. I called him a couple of days ago.

yeh, jambo...stainless shelf and mostly insulated firebox, may I call you a punk? :mrgreen:

If I needed larger I'd go Lonestargrillz
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
AgChef
Pilgrim

Postby AgChef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:57 pm

I just got my 24x48 with vertical box from Lone Star a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. This pit is a beauty, the craftsmanship is to notch and you get a lot of pit for your money. The pit also cooks like a dream when it comes to holding temps, fuel efficiency and no leaks from any doors whatsoever. I looked at all of the big pit builders out there and ultimately decided on Lone Star due to how much pit you get for your money and I also think they are just better looking pits than other builders. Chris and his team are awesome to work with and will do anything you ask them to as far as modifying as long as it's within reason and will not affect the performance of the pit.

I would highly recommend looking further into Lone Star because you won't be disappointed.
Titan7
Pilgrim

Postby Titan7 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 pm

I am looking at the same pits, heard a rumor Jamie is going to have somebody else build the backyard model?? No sure if that is true or matters?
TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:07 pm

I have an appointment with Lone Star Grillz on Saturday. Jambo is backed up with big pit builds and wants me to check back in December to see if he's available to build a backyard. Looking to decide between 24x48 single door or 24x60 Lone Star Grillz with 8" wheels, delete the grill top on the firebox, add log lighter assist, and possible ss shelf.
TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 am

I met up with Chris with Lone Star Grillz on Saturday. Great guy, very helpful and open. I placed an order for a 24 x 48" smoker, gas assist log lighter, 8" wheels, deleted the grill top on the fire box, and added an extra temp gauge to the door. I've also decided, with more thought since, to go with a single door with the counter weight, 12" SS shelf, and steel clips to keep the door closed during transport. He's currently 10 weeks +/- on completion. Couldn't be more please with my experience from meeting and working with Chris.
bullypitbbq USER_AVATAR
bullypitbbq
Rustler

Postby bullypitbbq » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:18 am

I would say id build u a 24" x 48", withn 2 weeks but looks like u already placed an order.
You only live once, so live every day as if it were your last.
TrueTexan
Pilgrim

Postby TrueTexan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 am

I have. Thank you. Great looking pit though!

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”