weber smokey mountain question

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dadymat
Rustler

weber smokey mountain question

Postby dadymat » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 pm

was wondering if anyone here uses the WSM , if so how do they do on long low temp cooks...?...versatility?....how much meat can you fit on one?.....pros and cons?....any reviews would be appreciated ...thanks
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: weber smokey mountain question

Postby limey » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Love my 22'WSM, I have had mine less than a year and it is a really great cooker. I have cooked 4 comps this year and have had 3 top 10s in the last 3 cookoffs. Yesterday, I had one wrapped brisket on bottom, two racks of ribs and two chicken halves on the top rack. Kinda pain in the butt moving stuff but it cooked all well. Can cook low or slow depending on the how you adjust the vents, Only cons I can see are changes in the weather, rain or wind. I have started using lump over Kingsford and it burns a lil hotter but once you start to know your pit you just adjust the vents. Love beating some of the high dollar rigs with just a backyarder.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm

thanks Limey, I guess you are the only one.... :D

im used to cooking on a large offset on trailer, but it belongs to a friend of mine and he dont want to cook comps as much as i do, so im trying to get my gear going ...i have a cheapo offset that i cook pretty good with on short cooks.....but for low and slow its a non stop affair....i dont mind tending a fire but its every 15 minutes....so i thought i would get a WSM and use both at comps offfset for ribs and chicken , and the WSM or brisket and butts......at least till i can afford what i really want...thanks for your input
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 am

I have had a WSM 22" for about a year and a half. I also have a BubbaKeg (just like a big green egg only steel) and an offset. I probably use the WSM 85% of the time now.
One of the best I have owned, especially for its price. Several times I have done 6 Butts at a time and even 4 Packers. Usually don't have a problem at all with the temp. Holds it real well and lasts for about 8-12 hours depending on how much fuel you load it with and the weather. One good thing I especially love about it over the Kamado style (like the BGE or the Keg) is that you can easily add coals or wood to it by way of the large side panel, without disturbing the meat. I really think you will love it if you decide to get one. Let me know.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 pm

thanks for the input Grizz, anyone know where i can buy one in person in Ft Worth area?...only place i can find is online amazon etc....id like to look at one in person before i decide...
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am

Build 2 UDS's with weber lids, 2 cook levels for the price of one wsm and be done with it.
I would put my comp chicken of my UDS against any high dollar rig in any comp any day of the week. Oh wait I already do, and win!
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:34 am

dadymat, we have both the 18.5" and the 22.5" WSM's and love them. The smaller one is a bit more consistent in temps but our larger one gets used more and more. We also have several UDS's which get used sometimes ( I build them more for fun than cooking). If your looking to not have to build and use a cooker right out of the box the 22.5" WSM would be my choice.
Check with your local ACE stores most of them sell Weber products and should be able to bring you one in.
I believe Home Depot or Lowes is also carrying them as well.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Foremans on Grapevine Highway carries the entire line of Webers plus a lot of great rubs and sauces. That's were I picked mine up at, good people as well.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Cabelas here in Allen sell them so I'm sure the Ft worth location does too. Also BBQ galore. FYI the new ones come out next month and they have temp probe grommets built in.
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 pm

thanks guys
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:50 am

WSM are very easy to use and efficient!!
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:10 am

I'm a little late to the party, but I've had my 18.5" WSM for over seven years now and love it. I do wish I had a 22.5" one though, but they came out several years after I bought mine. I can do two briskets, 4-6 pork butts and six to eight racks of ribs. A full charcoal ring lasts me 12-25 hours. I did buy a Stoker controller for it a year ago and love it. It did used to maintain 250 all night, but the controller gave me a lot confidence in the cooker's abilities to maintain temps.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 am

Scott what size briskest can you get on your 18? Thinking of getting one to go along with my UDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:40 pm

It's more of a length than size issue. You can start it with the ends jammed up between the handles. It will shrink to fit.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 am

limey wrote:Foremans on Grapevine Highway carries the entire line of Webers plus a lot of great rubs and sauces. That's were I picked mine up at, good people as well.

went to Foremans today and picked up my brand new shiny 22.5 WSM, test cook Sat night............cant wait....

do any of you season yours or just cook....?.....i plan on heating her up and letting it burn off the new....then back it down an throw on some meat

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”