need help choosing a BBQ PIT

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

a.n.c. USER_AVATAR
A.N.C.
Pilgrim

need help choosing a BBQ PIT

Postby A.N.C. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 am

Ive recently been doing BBQ competitions and have won in some divisions. But id like to hear from some veteran cookers what are the most reliable pits and BBQ pits that work in smoking and heat. I'm a fast cooker any help would work. If I don't get help id probably go check out BBQ pits somewhere. Thanks
a.n.c. USER_AVATAR
A.N.C.
Pilgrim

Re: need help choosing a BBQ PIT

Postby A.N.C. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 am

A.N.C. wrote:Ive recently been doing BBQ competitions and have won in some divisions. But id like to hear from some veteran cookers what are the most reliable pits and BBQ pits that work in smoking and heat. I'm a fast cooker any help would work. If I don't get help id probably go check out BBQ pits somewhere. Thanks
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:53 am

JM2C but it is the PITmaster not the PIT. Do you cook on an offset? Go Gator or Jambo, Pitts BY JJ, or are you a Vertical man Hard to Beat a UDS. When you say reliable They are all as reliable as the PITmaster's ability to control the fire. Big Ed wins with a UDS and a Weber Kettle, Like I said "it's the PITmaster" MO Expensive Don't mean MO Betta.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
a.n.c. USER_AVATAR
A.N.C.
Pilgrim

Postby A.N.C. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:52 pm

I have a 500gal tank and plan on adding a smoke box never cooked on a offset but that's what I'm shooting for and your right about its the pit master not pit. But the pit helps the postmaster from stressing also :) like I asked the question because I want to know what people put in thier pit like where the smoke comes out. I've seen different ones but I'm trying to learn because I'm doing a huge build and want it perfect.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:51 pm

First off I think you had better get a little experience on a stick burner before you go off and build one out of a 5oo gal tank that will be a Huge pit. The fire box alone will be enormous since it must be 1/3 the volume of the oven to have the right draft, It takes ALLOT of wood to maintain a cooker that size. Unless your cooking for really large venues( packing it full every time you light a fire) with a decent profit margin on a weekly basis It will run you broke. It would not be something you would want to fire up to cook a rack or two of ribs and a few wings or even use at a Contest. A pit that size don't cook well with a small meat load and requires constant attention as the meat must be moved around end to end & top to bottom. I'm not trying to pee in your beer I just hate to see someone bight off more than they can chew.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
a.n.c. USER_AVATAR
A.N.C.
Pilgrim

Postby A.N.C. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Hey more info dont hurt so I'm sticking with a 300gal tank and a smoker on the left and fire box on the right any recommendations for what to do inside the pit also I'm going to insulate the firebox . Believe or not I have a little experience but a veterm cook like yourself inspires me and helps because you've seen many pits. So tell me what would you do inside so the smoke flows good. Also I'm a quick cook I like my briskets done by 10 hours ribs 4hours chicken 3 hours and etc. :joker:
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Heres a link to Feldons Pit Calculator http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
are you going with a RF or a standard offset? I would add an adjustable damper at the Fb to Pit Opening and If your going with a Standard design add some tuning plates.

Here is a thread I friend built who is a Member here
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18210&p=161560&hilit=My+Build#p161560
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
a.n.c. USER_AVATAR
A.N.C.
Pilgrim

Postby A.N.C. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:08 am

I can't really decide I've used a reverse flow smoker before and a off set standard pit and the other pit that has the fire box on the left. But I can't really decide which one to go with. What do you use and what do you prefer and recommend.On the briskets I love a smoky flavor but I can't stand waiting 15 hours I need my food done by 10 hours so if you can throw me some options I'd greatly appreciate it.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 pm

R&O...vertical or offset.....Pm me for pics and prices.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
a.n.c. USER_AVATAR
A.N.C.
Pilgrim

Postby A.N.C. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:18 pm

horizontal offset I am just curious in what people do with the inside of the pit maybe you could show me some of yours?

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”