Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

If $$$ were no object which Grill would you Buy

Postby HOF » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:44 am

I thought I'd go right to the experts.

Our company has put together a comittee to acquire a bbq grill. (Yes, I know, very cool company)

We want a grill that can be used at major events and be a real show piece. Obviously we need one that can be pulled behind a truck.

If money were no object what features would you recommend and which fabricators would you look at first?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Oh yeah, we'd love to keep the business in East Texas if possible but are willing to look nationwide.
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Plenty of eye-candy on the Pit Gallery page (WWW button below or link in my signature line). Manufacturer links too. Gator Pits & Klose Pits come to mind but there are many many more. :D

Jim also has a darn fine list posted in the sticky at the top of this forum. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:29 pm

My first choice would be Spicewine Ironworks in Mo. Great looking and easy to use. :D :D
Second choice would be Gator Pits in Tx.:D

Check out the Pit builders list in the sticky in this section. :D It has web sites and phone numbers listed for alot of companies. :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:43 pm

When trailer mounted was mentioned, I immediately thought of stick burners. :banghead:

By all means check of Spicewine Ironworks. Steer Crazy has a trailer mounted Spicewine, and there are some of them in the Gallery too.

Spice is a member of the Forum so you can also PM him. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Money no object it would be something like this (about halfway down the page)

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2158

It definatly draws a crowd, especialy at night. I would make some adjustments to it for sure, but it would loose a little of the cool factor.

Not shown in the picture is putting chairs up top to let folks have a birds eye veiw of whats happening.
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm humbled by the quick and helpful responses. It looks like there are some notable options to consider for manufacturing in our great state.

The only experience I really have is backyard bbqing and sampling the smoky fair at various events. I could use all the help you're willing to give me on what options I should be looking for or how to set it up for a wide range of uses.

I know this will most likely get me flamed, but would you recommend a burner or two for those time when we didn't have time to get the wood heat just right?
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:09 pm

HOF
some things you might want to take into consideration

1) how big of a pit do you need/want

2) if you choose a stick burner, do you have a source for split wood also do you have a place to store the logs

3) if you choose a stick burner, will you or someone else be able to tend to the pit every 2 hours or so to feed it wood

4) do you want sink attachments or propane burners

If you have questions about a Spicewine, Jay who is a member of this forum and owns Spicewine Ironworks I'm sure would be happy to discuss his pits or JIM (OSD) owns a spicewine or myself, I own a trailored Spicewine I'd be happy to discuss with you.

These were some of the things I had to take into consideration before I made my decision. I was in the market for a Gator and a Klose but decided on the spicewine, glad I did too
Here is the thread to my spicewine, it has some nice detailed pics here;
http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1150

Good luck in your search!
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:29 pm

you also have www.southerncookers.com but thay are in SC. but I have heared Sam will deliver some smokers him self.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:05 pm

I would have to second the vote for Gator Pits, not that I am biased. :wink:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Spicewine, Gator and Klose seem to be the most popular.

Ratmo makes some nice pits, but you may be wanting more than he normally does. Might be worth talking to him though. He is a member here too.

If you want to splurge, I would look at a Webber or Charbroil! :wink: :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Obviously, $$$ will become an object sooner or later, most likely sooner. However, it's fun to get the conversation flowing. Big time thanks for the help so far. I've been checking out the sites you've suggested and I'm impressed. Admittedly, more info from me will get better input from the experts.

Our company will use the unit for cookouts for our 100 plus employee company and their families. We intend to loan the grill out to our employees for family reunions and also use it for an advertising piece at various events. Seems most non-profit organizations want us involved in their fund raisers and we're thinking a bbq grill that is clearly identified with us will be a good fit. Ergo, whomever we choose the trailer will need to be customized with our logo and branding that will stand out in a big way.

Since we're looking to serve 50 to 500 what are the tricks we need to know about when talking to manufacturers?

To answer some previous questions:

We're located in East Texas. I'm assuming we have ample access to split wood and Yes we have plenty of space to store it.

It makes sense to me a combo unit of both wood burning and gas would be a good idea..... But seriously, what do I know???!!!!

Keep'em coming. Ya'll are great.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:50 am

Wow, loaning out a pit?!?!? That's brave.....

That's brave, lots of folks "think" they understand a pit, but it usually takes a few cooks to "know" your pit.

Cooking for 100, you are probably looking at a mobile pit, huh? Make sure you look carefully at the pits that are made by the manufacturer and know what you are looking for in a pit. Smoker, grill, stick burner, charcoal, propane.......

I didn't notice where you are from but if your in the Central Texas area I'd be happy to show you my Gator Predator.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
spice USER_AVATAR
Spice
Pilgrim

Postby Spice » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Don't want to throw a wet blanket on things, but are you looking for a grill, or are you looking for a smoker, or both?? My cookers are a smoker only. You cannot grill on them. If you want a combo unit I would suggest that you go with a Klose or Gator or any othe stick burner that can do double duty. I'm not trying to lose your Business, but I want you to get what you want.

Hope this helps!!

Spice
Spicewine Ironworks
Quality Smokers, Sauces & Spices
www.spicewineironworks.com
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks Spice. We'll be wanting a combo grill smoker to do burgers, brisket, ribs, and handle a hog roast. I checked out your site and your smokers look great. Thanks for helping steer me along my quest for finding what we need.
Cheers

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”