Southern Pride Smoker?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

xtremebbq
Pilgrim

Southern Pride Smoker?

Postby xtremebbq » Tue May 22, 2012 6:21 am

Hello'' I'm new to the BBQ Forum so hang in there for me until i understand how and where to ask a question.
I have a location that i'm thinking of opening a new location and the way it is set up for what i'm trying to do it would be a lot of work and money to put in a pit to do bbq. i'm very old school when it comes to cooking bbq however my question is can anyone tell me the final results on how well a briskit will cook in a Southern Pride Smoker DH 65 this location i'm cooking catfish and i'm doing some bbq with my menue. I have a chance to buy one for 2000.00 but the guy can not tell me how well it cooks. can some one please let me know. Thanks
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Southern Pride Smoker?

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 22, 2012 6:00 pm

That's an electric model that uses wood chips in a box. Nothing automated like a pellet cooker in that you put the pellets in a hopper and walk away.

I'd be real skeptical if who ever is selling it can't tell you if it works or not. Have you contacted S.P. for a quote on what they cost new?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 pm

I know folks that swear by them, heard some say no smoke rings but good que...a lot of chain style BBQ joints use those style of cookers. Its hard for me to believe that you get the same results as cooking over a wood fired pit BUT the convenience of set and forget is pretty nice. Its a trade off of automation for quality IMO.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm

The bigger Southern Pride smokers are gas fired with a chamber for a couple of logs to supply the smoke. Its true that many "Q" places use these as they are set and forget for the most part, but Gator's point is sharp.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed May 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Gator wrote:I know folks that swear by them, heard some say no smoke rings but good que...a lot of chain style BBQ joints use those style of cookers. Its hard for me to believe that you get the same results as cooking over a wood fired pit BUT the convenience of set and forget is pretty nice. Its a trade off of automation for quality IMO.

Agree, the flavor is not the same no matter what anybody says imo. I can always taste that suble gas flavor, yuk
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”