Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Pit Rental in Colorado (Grand Lake)

Postby DaHorns » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Whats up y'all? Long time no see!

I'm in need of a pit to rent for a wedding in Grand Lake, Colorado in September. I REALLY don't want to drag my beheamuth (sp?) up there from Austin. Not only would the fuel cost me a small fortune, but the fuel would cost me a small fortune......

Does anyone know anyone who rents or would be willing to rent/loan a pit large enough to cook for 150 people. I have looked online and all I am finding is propane cookers, and I can't do that and call it Texas BBQ.

Also, any tips on cooking at 8,000 feet above sea level? We are planning on brisket, sausage, and chicken.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Pit Rental in Colorado (Grand Lake)

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Don't think you'll have much luck finding an outlet that rents pits. Though you might try www.ruffsbbq.com . He's in Golden, a good 2 hour drive to Grand Lake. Another option would be to post something on http://rmbbqa.org/smf/ .

Hope that helps.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:58 pm

definitely check with rocky mountain bbq before ruffs. lots of nice folks. very helpful.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:33 pm

DaHorns wrote:Whats up y'all? Long time no see!

Also, any tips on cooking at 8,000 feet above sea level? We are planning on brisket, sausage, and chicken.

Air is thin and water boils at around 180°. Beans, pasta, anything cooked in water will take longer to cook. Considerably longer. You'll have to run your intake vents more open than you are used too. Might also need more fuel. When the sun goes down so do the temps. Could be 70° during the day and then BAM -you are reaching for jackets and long pants at sundown. You could easily be in the 30°s with snow. The 4th of July fireworks show was canceled one year when I was in Silverthorne (8,900') due to the fact it was snowing so much you couldn't see the fireworks. Come September, it could be sunny and great or blizzard conditions. Its the high country, pay no attention to the forecasts for Denver or the front range, its a different animal.

That area has been savaged by Beetle kill, you might also be looking at a fire ban that includes smokers depending upon the rain over the summer.

BTW, Ruffs is the only Sucklebuster retailer in Colorado (that I know or), might want to say you heard about them here when you talk with them.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”