Rutland gasket cement?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

barbacoa USER_AVATAR
barbacoa
Pilgrim

Rutland gasket cement?

Postby barbacoa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm getting ready to put a rope gasket around the bottom part of where the lid closes on the smoking chamber of a Char Griller offset (on the part of the lower barrel where the lid closes, not the lid itself). I've read in a few places that some people have had so-so results with it.

Any hints on some do's and don'ts for applying the rope gasket?
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Rutland gasket cement?

Postby egghead » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:46 pm

I have replaced the gaskets on my Eggs with a Rutland and have been real pleased with the result. I only replaced the gaskets on the base - not on the dome. It is sufficient to do only one surface on a ceramic cooker because of the additional thickness of the Rutland as compared to the OEM felt gasket or Nomex gasket material. Unfortunately I didn't do the greatest job of installing them and will eventually have to replace them again.

The following information from the Naked Whiz's site should be helpful.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

The next time I do it, I will probably use twice the adhesive and press the rope gasket into the adhesive.

Good luck with it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Rutland gasket cement?

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 am

I'm running a Rutland on Einstein like EH is on his BGE and so far have had good results.

I attempted to put a Rutland gasket on Bowie with is a baby offset and had total failure due to not understanding how fast the cement sets up. I ran a bead along each axis then applied the gasket. I know now to only run an inch or two, apply gasket, repeat. And I know now to do it in direct sunlight. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”