Southern Style Custom Cookers Achille, OK

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Southern Style Custom Cookers Achille, OK

Postby Gizmo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a pit made by Southern style cookers? Anybody know anthing about them?
It's okay to disagree with me......you can be wrong if you want to. :P
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Southern Style Custom Cookers Achille, OK

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:13 pm

I have one, good direct heat cookers. I had some flare up in the beginning, but learned how to avoid those for the most part...the adjustable grates work very well for high heat cooking. There is a review in this forum on them ...somewhere...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:39 pm

I found what you were talking about, and that was on their Southern Cooker line. I was looking at a Kountry Cooker w/ an offset firebox. It is a square pit. I've talked to Gary a few times and he was telling me that their cookers were a little different than the other pit builders. Instead of tuning plates or a reverse flow plate, he said that their baffle goes straight up where it comes out of the firebox. The heat has to go all the way to the top and then out the exhaust at the bottom on the other side. What do you think about that?
It's okay to disagree with me......you can be wrong if you want to. :P
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Sounds interesting Gizmo. Gary Robertson, nice guy. Ask him if he remembers a fellow named Larry Patterson. We both went to Achille H.S. and he may or may not remember me. Depending on what he does remember...he may give you a discount or raise the price by 30%. :0)

Vertical baffle? Well, I know those farm boys are pretty clever so they must have figured out a way to keep the flow positive. In my experience you must have a vent that is higher than your draw point.....and that must be the case with their design. I am sure they had to play around with it to find a sweet spot that would allow heat and smoke to transfer without starving the firebox.

Good luck and pass along my greetings to Gary!
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”