Newbie with a new pit

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Newbie with a new pit

Postby roaniecowpony » Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi guys,
I'm new to the bbq/smoker world. Like many of you, I have been around it and grilled for yrs with charcoal and a lot of gas. I have been doing some "poor man's" attempt at bbq in my gas grill by building a fire in some heavy foil (without using the gas) and actually had some great success with prime rib roasts, hams, salmon and ribs over a few yrs now. But it was time to actually get a proper piece of bbq equipment. I had been around the Big Green Egg style pits in Japan in the '60s as a service brat. They were cheap over there, back then. They seem to work well, but the capacity was too small for my typical parties.

I did a lot of reading on the net and finally decided I wanted a Texas style offset. I was hesitant to spend the bucks for a Klose or Gator and finally settled on a 3/16" thick Old Country 20" x 36" with a 20" square firebox. No sooner than I used it this last week did I start wanting for a Klose or Gator and even a bit larger one. The front door of the cooking chamber could stand to be tighter sealing. I'll probably fix it with some type of seal. The chimney is very large diameter and short. I'm getting some cold air down the chimney in breezy conditions, causing a much cooler temps in the side near the chimney. You can actually see it drop with gusts of wind. My first mods will be to chop the chimney off level with the cooking chamber (allowing a cover to be easily put over it) and building a chimney that slips in/over and is about 6 ft long with a 90 degree turn at the top. This will allow me to rotate it downwind and will be easily removed to store under the bbq. Also, I'm going to make some tuning plates or one perforated plate similar to the Horizon tuning plate for the Oky-Joe pit. My pit does have a baffle angled down in the cooking chamber, about 8" into the cooking chamber, but it doesn't seem like it's quite enough to make for even temps. I also want the tuning plate removeable, since I did some marinated tri-tips this weekend, as I can see a need to maximize a hot spot for some things like tri-tips.

For mother's day, I did 6 racks of babybacks, 2 tri-tips, and a half salmon fillet in my pit. I used my recipes I was comfortable with so as to not be completely in new teritory. On the ribs, I used a few types of rub (John Henry's - Texas Brisket rub, Sugar Maple rub, and Lil Shag's All Purpose rub), then mopped a bit of Susie Q's Citrus Rib Glaze after a couple hours on the pit, then put the ribs in an aluminum tray and sealed with foil (with a dash of beer for moisture), put the tray on the gas grill and took it to about 300F for an hour and some change (until just the right amount of tenderness) then grilled just a bit and added some of my favorite sauce at the end. I had the salmon on the upper rack of my pit during the last hour and half or more of the ribs with some of the Texas Brisket rub on it. When I finished the fish, I stoked the fire up with a bunch of Kingford and preheated pecan, seared the tri-tips on the firebox grill, then moved them to the hot spot on the cooking chamber and built the fire up to get the cooking chamber up to crest around 400F at the hotspot, which cooked the tri-tips similar to the rate at which Santa Maria style grilling does. It took about an hour and some change to cook them, one on the rare side of medium rare and the other medium rare.

All I can say is WOW! The meats all turned out fantastic and recieved raves from the 17 guests. The salmon really got some attention and complements.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty fired up. Can't wait to do a prime rib roast and a ham.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks, Chuck
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
deano USER_AVATAR
Deano
Rustler

Re: Newbie with a new pit

Postby Deano » Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Welcome. We always like to drool over pics!
Chris - Head Cook

Deano's Smokin Bones BBQ Team

Our Ribs R Suckin Good!

http://www.deanosbbq.com

http://www.facebook.com/SmokinBonesBBQ
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Tue May 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Welcome to the board!

P.S. - for what it's worth, I love my Gator! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum!
txag01
Pilgrim

Postby txag01 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Take some foil, cut it the length of each lid seat, fold it over a few times into long strips, then fold it over the lid seats. Press it down tightly over the edge so it will stay on. Use a couple of layers so it's got some give and will seal tightly. You can also use a bungee attached to the handle to keep pressure on the lid pressed against the foil. Should fix your seal problem. I did that, on both the lid seat and lid edge, and it kept any smoke from exiting around the lid seats. It won't be the prettiest fix, but if you keep a cover over it when not in use, you won't notice it anyway, except when you're using it.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Welcome aboard. I got hook too and love it here
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Tue May 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Well first of all glad you decided to join us, and second congrats on your new pit.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Big Welcome, congrats on the new pit. :thap:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
txbbqman_1 USER_AVATAR
Txbbqman_1
Rustler

Postby Txbbqman_1 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 am

Welcome aboard Chuck
Brad

Smokin' Hobos BBQ Team

Lang 84 Deluxe w/ Chargriller
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu May 13, 2010 8:47 am

Welcome Chuck, nice folks here. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Thu May 13, 2010 9:50 am

congrats Chuck and welcome....
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
cj8tk USER_AVATAR
cj8tk
Rustler

Postby cj8tk » Thu May 13, 2010 11:47 am

congrats!!
FULL MOON BBQ
Stumps 223
Stumps Baby
Jambo
UDS
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Thu May 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys (and gals?).

My first mod was done before I even fired up my Q. I put dual temp gauges on it down low near the meat rack.

I tried some quick and dirty fixes for my temp differential I was experiencing last Sunday.

The stack extension is a piece of furnace duct about 5 ft long with an elbow on top to turn downwind. It was a little breezy this afternoon when I tried this. It didn't fix all of the problem of too low a temp on the stack side, but it did keep the cold air from going down the stack and cooling it down about 100F from the other side and I liked having the smoke exit up high above and out of the way. I'll have my buddie with the fab shop make a nicer one. The other quick mod was the baffle plate a friend cut from some project material in his fabrication shop.

As you can see in this last picture, the mods didn't completely solve the temp difference problem. They did reduce the differential to about 50F and there was no fluctuations from drafts down the stack. I think I'm going to put a solid plate about the same size in next to test it.
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”