Pit Thermometer

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Pit Thermometer

Postby JamesB » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Well, here is the original thermo on my big ugly pit and ain't worked in some time. Need to replace it.

I found a Tel Tru that would work, but it was $120.00 so I went a Googling for a better deal.I may have found a suitable replacement at Grainger. 3" Ashcroft bi-metal, 4" stem (the original only had a 3" stem) 50°-550°...

Sure hope it works... Might be a little harder to read... Oh yeah, this model is on clearance for $11.52... Also ordered the Thermowell for it so with shipping it all added up to $27.00! :)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2A616" target="_blank" target="_blank
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Pit Thermometer

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 am

That's a great buy. Ashcroft makes really good thermos. Should work just fine. 8)
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:16 am

Hey James, here's a quick fix that I have used on hard to read thermos. My old eyes need the extra help. :lol:

I draw lines on the glass at 225° and one at 250° using a bright red auto touch-up paint pen. Then I can see where the needle is compared to the lines.

Another trick, if the face of the thermo will turn, turn the face to where when it reads 250° ( or what ever temp you want ) is dead top center. Then can see if it's high or low from center reading at a glance.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:24 am

OSD wrote:Hey James, here's a quick fix that I have used on hard to read thermos. My old eyes need the extra help. :lol:

I draw lines on the glass at 225° and one at 250° using a bright red auto touch-up paint pen. Then I can see where the needle is compared to the lines.

Another trick, if the face of the thermo will turn, turn the face to where when it reads 250° ( or what ever temp you want ) is dead top center. Then can see if it's high or low from center reading at a glance.

JWWFM-YMMV

Hey Jim... Believe it or not, I had thought of that... Guess great minds think alike! 8) 8) 8)
Since this thermo is adjustable, I'll also calibrate it so that it reads the same temp as the cooking grate. :P
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 am

:goof:
Jim
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm