HELP! Doors have warped

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

junior
Pilgrim

HELP! Doors have warped

Postby junior » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

I cut the doors for my pit (250 gal propane tank), and since they have been put on hinges and the pit almost finished the doors have kinda buckled, or warped a little. Now they don't close just right. Is there any tricks out there to get em back to their original shape?
Cook it slow, and drink em fast!
Toontroller
Bandolero

Re: HELP! Doors have warped

Postby Toontroller » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 pm

First, make sure the door indeed warped. My build did the same thing and after looking really close it was the hinges that sorta rolled back after welding and closed the top gap. I stuck a piece of flat steel in the gap and slammed the door shut and it bent the hinge pin just enough to make everything line back up.

If the door(s) have warped you may have to remove them and have a shop re-roll them to match the tank.

Hope it's a simple fix for you.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 pm

I saw a pic of James B pit, and he had a strap welded on the inside of the door to correct that problem. How bout it james, can you put up that pic again?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:06 pm

When working with tanks of any kind that will be a definite problem when the door is released from cutting. Now I have had the same thing happen. Take and either C-clamp the door to how its supposed to close and leave it, or tack weld in both bottom corners then remove the clamps. once this is done, take and build a very very large fire inside the cooking chanber that the doors are on and keep it burning for an hour or so. What happens is that all tanks were bent in the factory from a flat pc of metal and it has a memory for as long as itis in the uniform tank ,that it was made into. Once you cut it loose, it tries to go back to flat though we know it want go all the way back but you get my meaning. Heating this pit after the doors are welded back down it will release the spring in the metal and allow it to settle back to how you have it when you welded it shut. Now you may still get a small amount of spring but it will make those doors close properly with only minor openings that either weight of the door or mechanicla latch will adjust it closed. Been there and done it several times It works. Hope this helps
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
junior
Pilgrim

Postby junior » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 am

Bluz, you are the pit making Guru!
Thanks
Cook it slow, and drink em fast!
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:51 am

Not sure about that, but I have had to work to cover my mistakes LOL.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”