Questions about 1st smoker trailer?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wakeboarderjeff USER_AVATAR
WakeboarderJeff
Pilgrim

Questions about 1st smoker trailer?

Postby WakeboarderJeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm looking into starting a BBQ business, and hoping to get everything together by next spring. I'll be doing pulled pork sandwiches, smoked chicken, and maybe some ribs. The area I plan on targeting I estimate 40-60 customers a day, at least that is my best guess judging by the traffic through the area. I've been grilling on regular grills (charcoal, and propane) for over 20 years, and am familiar with indirect heat methods, just never cooked on a smoker.

My budget is in the 1500-2000 range, and I don't need a side burner as I plan on carrying a regular propane grill to handle dogs and burgers. What would be a good size for this volume of business? What do I look for quality wise if I look at homemade smokers? I'm up in the air about rotisserie or multi-level grills? I'm really leaning towards rotisserie but then electricity becomes an issue, if I buy a generator it will cut my trailer budget down. How do I go about keeping condiments cold during the day? How do I keep already done product warm?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Questions about 1st smoker trailer?

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Before you start looking at equipment, have you checked with your local heath department to see what they are going to require? Most places willl require 3 sinks, NSF equipment etc. Look into this first so you can better plan your purchases.
WakeboarderJeff
Pilgrim

Postby WakeboarderJeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks James, so far I have just been investigating the permits that I need. This idea just hit me over the weekend. Depending on what I have to have my total budget is around 3500, food manager classes, permits and all will run about 500, I figured around 1000 for whatever I need as far as cooler tables, sinks, ect. I do have an RV that has a 100 gal water tank, and propane hot water heater, if I need to I can take the stove out and install more sinks. What is NSF equipment?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:50 pm

National Sanitation Foundation

http://www.nsf.org
WakeboarderJeff
Pilgrim

Postby WakeboarderJeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks, I bookmarked it for later. I've been reading about codes and permits and other boring stuff till my eyes burn lol. Thought I would focus on the fun part of all this for a bit.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:07 pm

You need to get an appointment with the food agency in your area and set down and talk with them about what they will require equipment and permit wise before you go too far and waste any money or time on buying things.

They may not approve your RV or the pit you buy. All states have different laws, down here the RV and open pit wouldn't fly. You have to have an approved mobile kitchen for that type of vending and have an approved block and mortar kitchen for a commissary. You can't work out of your home kitchen.
Your laws may be different but sit down and talk to them. They may interpret things different than what you do just reading them.

Also, are there other BBQ vendors in your area doing what you are thinking about doing ? Maybe try to talk to them and look at the way their rigs are setup.
Jim
WakeboarderJeff
Pilgrim

Postby WakeboarderJeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks OSD that's a good idea, save me some boring reading of stuff that may or may not apply. I'm assuming that by brick and mortor kitchen you mean just to do the prep work? I think they are pretty lenient here, I see smokers in parking lots from time to time, never saw any sinks or concession trailers, just a smoker, tent and a table. Next time I see one I may stop grab some food and pick the guys brain about the regs around here.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:25 pm

And disposal of grey water, storage of food stocks, cooking of side dishes ( unless you buy the sides pre-made ) approved commercial kitchen ( maybe use one a church or club has and will allow you use of it.)
See if they are licensed and what type of license they have.

And most important of all....check on insurance.
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Jeff Jim is being a good coach. Down here health regs are by municipality so what flies in one town may not in another. If you meet state regs though you will probably be OK most anywhere. Be sure and find out what it will cost you to work a location or festival. Down here $300 a weekend is pretty common at a flea market or small festival. I think the least I've paid is $50/day. BTW go do the Czech Festival in Wilber and I'll come up and help.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Well Jeff... If you listen to Jim and Tom, they'll get ya on the right track for sure.
WakeboarderJeff
Pilgrim

Postby WakeboarderJeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks a lot for all the great info, gives me an idea of what I need to ask about when I go to the health dept. helps a ton. I'm still wondering if my 1500-2000 budget for a smoker is realistic? I'm just trying to put together some ruff numbers to take to my brothers who are interested in investing in this idea. Am I safe in the assumption that I will get a nicer rig if I wait till winter time?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm

WakeboarderJeff wrote:Thanks a lot for all the great info, gives me an idea of what I need to ask about when I go to the health dept. helps a ton. I'm still wondering if my 1500-2000 budget for a smoker is realistic? I'm just trying to put together some ruff numbers to take to my brothers who are interested in investing in this idea. Am I safe in the assumption that I will get a nicer rig if I wait till winter time?

You are really on the low side with your guesstimate for a pit. Yes it is more likely to get a better deal come winter especially up there. Probably isn't a whole lot of good pits in the east Nebraska area but KC isn't too far away and there are lots down there (if you get lucky you could hit a nice one within your budget). You might want to seriously look at a pellet cooker if you go into business especially a Fast Eddy. Trust me you will appreciate it. If you want to spend some extra bucks you could check out Southern Pride or Old Hickory rotisseries with propane assist.
WakeboarderJeff
Pilgrim

Postby WakeboarderJeff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Tom do you do the Czech festival? I haven't been to one in ages. I'll for sure be hitting the fall festivals around here to do some recon and see how the pros do it. I'm going to call around in the morning and find out exactly what office I need to go to for the info I need. Knowing the gov't around here it'll probably take all day to figure it out lol. I'm going to try finding out at the state level so I can jump counties with out to much problem.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:40 pm

I used to race motocross and hit the race at the Czech festival it was always a good time. Of course I ate a lot of the vendors food then.......
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Here in colorful Colorado, food service licenses are issued on the county level based upon standards set by the state. A 3 compartment NSF sink with 24" washboards on each end are required if you have to wash only 1 dish. Add a hand washing sink. Greywater tanks must be 110% of the fresh water source and must be 1 piece (no ganging of tanks). Water systems must be pressurized and the hot water source has to produce X amount of gallons per hour depending on the size of all sinks. 3 compartment sinks meant for a Bar (washing glasses) won't get you there. Add a commissary.

You'll also need dry storage space, cold storage, holding unit and a prep area.

Selling fries? Not only will the Fryer need to be NSF but you'll need a range hood with fire suppression built in.

Liability insurance is an absolute must unless you don't mind losing your house and life savings should you get sued for something.

Have a Business Plan? Don't toss a dime at the project until you do.

IMHO, the cost of the cooker is meaningless until you figure these things outs. Let us know how the visit to the Health Dept goes. Wishing you the best of luck in this project. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”