New to Smoking, Having Trouble....

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kindollbbq
Pilgrim

New to Smoking, Having Trouble....

Postby kindollbbq » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Hello everybody. Brand new to this forum. This is my first post. I just recently purchased a cheapo CharBroil Offset Smoker from WallyWorld. I understand it's not a great grill by any stretch of the imagination, but I am just getting started. I really enjoy the process of smoking but I am having problems.

1.) HAVING A HARD TIME KEEPING FIRE GOING-- I get a good base fire going, and then every subsequent piece of lump or briquet charcoal I add from there on does not burn all the way. I end up with a firebox full of 1/2-3/4 burnt charcoal.

2.) SMOKE LEAKING FROM EVERYHWERE!!-- There is smoke coming from all around the main chamber door, and I am sure that also means heat leaking from everywhere too.

3.) TAKES RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF TIME TO COOK-- i tried to cook about a 3lb rack of ribs, one single rack, and I cooked it for over six hours, and then still had to bring them in to the oven for over 2 hours to get them to cook. That seems ridiculously long to me.

So, any pointers?? Anyone point me to "BBQing for Dummies 101" threads to help me out.

What should I do about the heat loss around my main chamber door?

Thanks.
Brandon
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Re: New to Smoking, Having Trouble....

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:57 pm

1 Make sure your exhaust vent is open 100% through the whole cook and adjust temps using your fire box vent. Make sure you have enough air flow to keep the fire stoked.

2 Those leaks may eventually be reduced the more you cook. You will get a nice residue that will fill in some of your cracks. Smoke is smoke though and if you have any holes the smoke will find it. You may also have a smoldering fire that is producing too much smoke. Aim to keep a small hot fire with a nice thin blue smoke.

3 Aim for a temp of around 250. I know a lot of people talk about 200-225, but I don't see a point in it when you can get just as good Q at 250. Some ribs (big spares) will take around six hours at 250.

Be patient it'll take a few cooks to get the hang of everything, but once you do you'll be all set.
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Remeber to adjust your air intake not your smoke flow. Get a cheap electronis thermometer and put on your grate next to your meat. Start your fire with all vents wide open, then adjust air intake flow to cool down temp Note: it might take a little bit to adjust. As far as the leaks go it might be the way the smoker is built, see if it gets better with exhaust wide open.
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Southern Pride BBQ wrote:Remeber to adjust your air intake not your smoke flow. Get a cheap electronis thermometer and put on your grate next to your meat. Start your fire with all vents wide open, then adjust air intake flow to cool down temp Note: it might take a little bit to adjust. As far as the leaks go it might be the way the smoker is built, see if it gets better with exhaust wide open.

Let me expand a little on this comment.

I would get a potato, preferably a smaller one and run the probe all of the way through the potato where the sensor end of the probe is sticking all of the way out of the other side of the potato. Maybe even slice a piece off of the bottom of the potato to make it a little more stable.

This will get you really close to the grate for the temp, but the probe wont be touching the grate it's self.

It's a learning process. Just take your time and get the feel for your smoker. Ask plenty of questions. You will get plenty of help here.

And we love pictures!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:44 pm

nascarchuck wrote:I would get a potato, preferably a smaller one and run the probe all of the way through the potato where the sensor end of the probe is sticking all of the way out of the other side of the potato. Maybe even slice a piece off of the bottom of the potato to make it a little more stable.

That is pretty crafty.....so should we start calling you MacGyver.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:44 pm

What everyone has said is right on point. Also when you add charcoal, check to see that the ash below the fire grate isn't built up and blocking the air flow. When you add charcoal pull out the tray from under the grate and empty the ashes. :D

Stop over to the Wanted Posters section and tell us a little about yourself and introduce yourself. 8)
Jim
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Welcome Brandon, seems you do have a problem with airflow through your firebox hence the unburned charcoal.

Are you putting your charcoal in the bottom of the firebox or it is elevated on a charcoal rack for better ventilation/air flow?

A picture of your setup could go a long way in finding a problem or missed step. IE; pic of inside the firebox after you get the charcoal loaded, picture of how you had your intake vent(s) & exhaust stack set during the cook.

Even though it may not be the top of the line super sexy BBQing machine it is still your baby and with a little help and practice I'll bet it will be turning out the best Q you've ever had in no time.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:49 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
Southern Pride BBQ wrote:Remeber to adjust your air intake not your smoke flow. Get a cheap electronis thermometer and put on your grate next to your meat. Start your fire with all vents wide open, then adjust air intake flow to cool down temp Note: it might take a little bit to adjust. As far as the leaks go it might be the way the smoker is built, see if it gets better with exhaust wide open.

Let me expand a little on this comment.

I would get a potato, preferably a smaller one and run the probe all of the way through the potato where the sensor end of the probe is sticking all of the way out of the other side of the potato. Maybe even slice a piece off of the bottom of the potato to make it a little more stable.

This will get you really close to the grate for the temp, but the probe wont be touching the grate it's self.

It's a learning process. Just take your time and get the feel for your smoker. Ask plenty of questions. You will get plenty of help here.

And we love pictures!

Chu'Gyver, Mavericks come with a mounting clip if you want to save the spuds :lol: IMHO FR8 Train is spot on with the target temp of 250° - Its the range that works best for me. If the lid is twisted/warped (not uncommon with entry level units) you might want to consider a gasket. I use plain old gasket material made for wood doors instead of the pricey OEM gaskets on the ceramics. Cost is about $2.00 for a roll -cut with a scissors to fit. I apply with some white (elmers) glue. Cheap and easy to remove if it don't work.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I believe Sterno just got one of these grills and maybe he will be around to help you out a little. I was staring at pics from his first cook thread all day drooling so I know he has his down pretty good.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:04 pm

This is a good read with pics of mods for small off-set smokers. The brand may not be the same as yours, but the mods will work on most all small offset smokers.

Here's the link........................

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/SmokerModifications.pdf
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:14 pm

FR8 Train wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:I would get a potato, preferably a smaller one and run the probe all of the way through the potato where the sensor end of the probe is sticking all of the way out of the other side of the potato. Maybe even slice a piece off of the bottom of the potato to make it a little more stable.

That is pretty crafty.....so should we start calling you MacGyver.

Call me anything you like... just dont call me late for dinner... especially when it's bbq! :out:

Saw that trick a couple oif years ago. Works good!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

kindollbbq
Pilgrim

Postby kindollbbq » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:07 pm

What a great forum!!! Keep the tips comin'! You all don't know how much I appreciate it. Thanks.

Brandon
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Like we tell everyone,....we can tell u, but if u dont do it, its worthless
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Pay attention to these guys and they'll have ya cooking like a pro in no time!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw