Guess it's been long enough

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Toontroller
Bandolero

Guess it's been long enough

Postby Toontroller » Wed May 13, 2009 5:06 pm

If it works this is a loooooong probably boring slide show of my pit build going on. I'm close but not there yet. Tonight will be another long one but there is a slim chance it will be ready for a test fire after.

Specs
36 X 36 X 36 FIRE BOX
36 X 120 HORIZONTAL REVERSE FLOW MAIN CHAMBER 9 SLIDING RACKS
48 X 36 X 60 VERTICAL 4 RACKS CURRENT ROOM FOR MORE IF REQUIRED

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/ ... =slideshow" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Use the password invited if it asks for one.

A few note of thanks must be placed at the very first.

#1 My wife who has put up with so much during this build.
#2 My great GREAT friend Joe Cook who has allowed me full access of the shop this takes place in.
#3 Both of my daughters who can be seen Cutting & Drilling and action photography.
#4 My great friend David who loves (or at least says he does) to run a hand grinder.
#5 Tim my cooking partner and material pick up guy.

Please note! I do own more than one shirt, I own three as a matter of fact but I only get photographed in the Blue one so it seems :P

More pictures will be added as they are taken until this dang thing gets finished and on the trailer.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Guess it's been long enough

Postby OSD » Wed May 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Great slideshow. 8) That's a biggin'. Lots of work, but your almost done. :D Can't wait to see smoke coming from the stacks and meat off the grates. 8)
Jim
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Wed May 13, 2009 5:43 pm

My goodness that is a monster! It's going take a forest to feed it! Can't wait to see her in action!

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Wed May 13, 2009 5:52 pm

That'a a big pit!

I guess you're planning on some big cooks.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 13, 2009 6:16 pm

You'll need a huge trailer 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed May 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Big pit fer sure... Looks like a lot of work went into it... Congrats on the build!
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Ronnie,
That really turned out nice. I know your a happy man about now. and you should be. Looking forward to seeing that one in action. Great pics
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm

You can feed an army on that thing.Yall are doing a good job, cant wait to see it complete.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 am

Ronnie, Its coming along very nicely....cant wait to see it in action.. :wink: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Thu May 14, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks, not ready for the fire just yet. Two more 36" welds to make and get some latches on the firebox & big box doors. Pulled a good one last night crawled on top of a ladder and measured the top of the big box at least three times wrote the size on the box, went over and wrote the size on the plate, marked off the plate measured that twice, cut the plate and hoisted it into position...... 10" short! :oops: guess I need to practice writing the number "FOUR" cause last night it came out looking like "3" Three dang times! Starting to think the girls at Sonic are spiking my Route 44 Cokes with STUPID JUICE. :lol
NewBQ wrote:That'a a big pit!

I guess you're planning on some big cooks.

The Texas Motorplex is the main reason for the size we decided on. We do several events and the Fall Nationals will have us serving upwards of 1200 people a day. Also for some reason if there is a backup or problem in the main kitchen they will send it over to the rednecks cooking BBQ to get them out of a bind. Last year it was 480 lbs of whole sirloin roast that needed to be seared before going into the ovens.
DATsBBQ wrote:You'll need a huge trailer 8)

I found a 27' Travel Trailer running gear that is now just a flat wood floor, going to beef up the frame where needed & put diamond plate steel floor on it and have plenty of room to work off of.
tex_toby wrote:My goodness that is a monster! It's going take a forest to feed it! Can't wait to see her in action!

tex 8)
A lot of the time we will use Charcoal to get up to temps and get a good bed of coals going. I am not ruling out the possibility of some kind gas assist just yet, we may have to have it. The trailer will be carrying propane for cook tops and deep frying so we will make it possible to add an assist system if needed. I have already considered putting a couple burners under the big box if we ever just need a warmer or oven w/o building a wood fire. W/O insulation it could get pretty expensive to run like that.
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Thu May 14, 2009 11:35 am

Toon,
I can't tell you the times that I have measured something, and when I go to weld it in, you'd have to use a 12# sledge hammer to get it to fit, or it would be 3 inches short. I cant blame it on Sonic, but I can blame it on the iced tea from Whataburger. I guess thats why im in the recycling business, no matter how bad I cut, or mangle the scrap I can still sell it to the Mill for melting, LOL I'm much better at tearing something up, than building something, thats for sure.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Toontroller wrote:The Texas Motorplex is the main reason for the size we decided on. We do several events and the Fall Nationals will have us serving upwards of 1200 people a day.

Hey Toon... Guess I'll be look'n ya up when the Fall Nats roll around (if I'm still employed), Been going most every year since 1986. At least those years, I've been in town... LOL.
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Thu May 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Heck yea James!

I'm easy to find during that time. Pit side, the big two story tent right in front of Top fuel Funny car finish line. Lets talk closer to time.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu May 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Lookin Good fer sur!!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu May 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Toontroller wrote:Heck yea James!

I'm easy to find during that time. Pit side, the big two story tent right in front of Top fuel Funny car finish line. Lets talk closer to time.

Will do.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”