tuning plates and smoke stacks

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

junior
Pilgrim

tuning plates and smoke stacks

Postby junior » Fri May 01, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm using a 250 gallon tank. It's 7ft x 30". I'm planning on putting the smoke stack opposite the fire box, and using some tuning plates on the inside. With these measurements can anyone give me some more technical advive on how I should do this? Do I need a heat shield of some sort also coming from the fire box into the cooking chamber? Should the smoke stack be on the same end as the fire box?
Thanks!
Cook it slow, and drink em fast!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: tuning plates and smoke stacks

Postby OSD » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 pm

First you need to decide which type of smoker you're going to build, regular or reverse flow. Because you asked about both. This will also determine heat shield & tuning plates or heat tube inside.

I would suggest that you try to go to a comp. or a couple pit builders to look at the different pit configurations you are considering. A visual would give you a better understanding of how they work.

When you get time wander over to the Wanted Posters section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 pm

A member here, Bluz just finished his pit. It too is 30" in diameter and he is using tuning plates... He should be along shortly to give his views... His pit seems to function very well too!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Fri May 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Go to gatorpit.net do your research on tuning plates, you wont be dissapointed... :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
junior
Pilgrim

Postby junior » Fri May 01, 2009 3:02 pm

The folks at gatorpit pretty much stated that if your not buying their stuff (a pit), they ain't gonna offer up any help! I looked at their threads about tuning plates and all, just thought with me giving specific measurements, and ideas, yall might could steer me in the right direction! With tuning plates does the smoke stack have to be on the same side as fire box or not? Any info will help right now!
Thanks Guys!
Cook it slow, and drink em fast!
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Fri May 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Junior, you can go to the bbq pit section and look at my pics. I have two exhaust vents, but only because I have a warming box attachment. If I didnt, I would only have the one that is beside the firebox(reverse flow). As far as the tuning plates this is the first pit that I have had that had them, and now I wont be without them on an offset anymore. Some of the members here were at the get together last weekend got to see that I can now regulate my temps on a 5 1/2 ft pit between 2 and 5 degrees differnence from one end to the other. Mine are in 12" wide pcs and covers 5 of the 5 1/2 ft of main chamber, adn Hot spots can be easily remedied, by only closing or opening the spaces between plates.
Hope this helps
Bluz
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri May 01, 2009 11:07 pm

I can verify, Bluz pit works......really well....even the high winds didn't seem to bother it.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Yep, that pit works like a champ... Hey Bluz. Can you provide the measurements for the tuning plates from the bottom of the pit and between the plate and the bottom cooking grate?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”