Cleaning question

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Cleaning question

Postby super8mm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:49 pm

When I cured my smoker I used a bit to much oil and have some that dripped down the outside, my question is can i clean it off without removing the paint?? :shock:

"He was ugly, strong and had dignity" by Marion Robert Morrison
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Cleaning question

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Next time the smoker is warm, just take a rag with a little oil on it and wipe down the outside of the pit with it. Won't hurt a thing will just help the paint from burning off and rust spots from forming later. :D Lots of folks rub down the outside of their pits all the time. Saves repainting all the time. 8)
Jim
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:56 pm

OSD wrote:Next time the smoker is warm, just take a rag with a little oil on it and wipe down the outside of the pit with it. 8)

Thanks Jim, I warmed my oil and put it in a spary bottle and it worked good maybe too good :wink:
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:00 pm

people wipe down the outside of their cookers all the time, especially the firebox. Paint never lasts long there, so they keep the metal coated and seasoned with oil. Keeps metal from rusting once the paint is gone. :D 8) It's best to do the wipe down when the metal is warm for the oil to penetrate and stick to the metal the best. Like when the pit is cooling down from a cook. 8)
Jim
kevinv USER_AVATAR
kevinv
Rustler

Postby kevinv » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:53 pm

not to hijack this, but once you clean/degreese the inside of your grill, how soon do you wait or do you reseason right away?
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:00 pm

kevinv wrote:not to hijack this, but once you clean/degreese the inside of your grill, how soon do you wait or do you reseason right away?

No problem, I cleaned mine with soap and water when new and as soon as it dried I sparyed down the inside and lit it up. Did it like my food long and slow (225 - 230) until the oil inside was dry to the touch. It left a real good surface on it, sort of like seasoning a cast iron skilet
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Light up a small fire and once it is dry, oil it down and season it. :D If you wait to season it, the bare metal may start to get a small amount of surface rust, then you'll be back to cleaning it again. :D
Jim

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”