Smoker question

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Smoker question

Postby Rich777 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 pm

My job requires me to travel alot, driving. I travel through rural areas most of the time. Today I saw at least eight trailered smokers parked in someones backyard. They looked well made, but who knows! I would like to approach the owners and ask if they would sell, but I have no idea what the price range should be. Help??
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:05 pm

That's a real hard question without knowing somethings about the smokers. :scratch: Like size, reg or reverse flow, homemade or Klose, Gator, condition.

Maybe stop and take a look and ask about them and take a couple pics. That would really help. :D
Jim
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks Jim.
I see these things everywhere,they look shopmade. Range in size from maybe a six footer up to twenty foot. 24"-36". Single axle to dual axle. All of the ones I saw today haven't seen any action for awhile.
I'll try to get some pics.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Guess I don't understand the question. Where all 8 of these smokers in the same yard? Are you in the market for a new smoker? If so, have you checked out Craigslist? Lots of 'em there all the time.

If your looking or a trailered pit, let me know and I will keep an eye out for ya.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 pm

From time to time whilst on E-Bay, I'll click watch this item. At the end of the auction you can go back and see if it sold and for what. You'd be surprized on how many don't sell.

My gut feeling is the resale on trailer mounted pit is akin to what happens when you drive a new car/suv/truck off the lot. Drops like the grate temp of an ECB in January in Minnesota when the lid is removed only it never recovers.

Klose sometimes has "refurbished" pits on his website. If they are as well built as I've heard tell, don't know what would have to be refurbished except maybe new tires, paint touch up and tail-light lense or two. Those prices are significantly off what a new pit would cost and I'm sure he ain't selling 'em at cost :wink: Nor should he 8)

Gives me an idea. Maybe I should start a pit-trader mag or come up with the Deputies Blue Book for pits :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Smoker question

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 am

Rich777 wrote:My job requires me to travel alot, driving. I travel through rural areas most of the time. Today I saw at least eight trailered smokers parked in someones backyard. They looked well made, but who knows! I would like to approach the owners and ask if they would sell, but I have no idea what the price range should be. Help??

Although not a professional pit builder I do build pits from time to time as a side line. As you stated above; looked well made but who knows is exactly right. In reference to cost I have seen used trailer pits from $600.00 to $50K. Just to give you some idea of cost; I build my fire boxes (24"X24"X30") out of 1/2" material. The cost of material for the firebox alone averages $675.00. Total sale price for the last pit I built was $10,500.00. 1/4"x24"x60" horizontal with 1/2"x 24"X24"X30" fire box, 1/4"X16"x30" Grill, front mounted storage box, wood storage box, on a single axel (3500lb) 5'x12' trailer. Sorry to be long winded but if a pits well made from quality material and fits your wants/needs it's worth what you can afford.
BAR "G"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Hey BAR "G" BBQ, got any pics of the pits you've built? Sure would like to see some of your craftsmanship!
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:38 pm

JamesB wrote:Hey BAR "G" BBQ, got any pics of the pits you've built? Sure would like to see some of your craftsmanship!

Computer police won't allow my posting from the office computer but if you want to pm me your email address I can attach some to an email.
BAR "G"
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Maybe you could post them from home as we'd all like to see 'em. I can't even get to the forum while at work.
dj

BAR "G" BBQ wrote:
JamesB wrote:Hey BAR "G" BBQ, got any pics of the pits you've built? Sure would like to see some of your craftsmanship!

Computer police won't allow my posting from the office computer but if you want to pm me your email address I can attach some to an email.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 pm

JamesB wrote:Guess I don't understand the question. Where all 8 of these smokers in the same yard? Are you in the market for a new smoker? If so, have you checked out Craigslist? Lots of 'em there all the time.

If your looking or a trailered pit, let me know and I will keep an eye out for ya.

My mistake James, they were not all in one yard. They were scattered here and there, I see them driving through the countryside.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Ya just got me to thinking that somebody was having a sale! :D

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”