grate question

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jim_K
Pilgrim

grate question

Postby Jim_K » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm trying to gather up as much info before I start my build.
so for todays question is what is the ideal distance between grates?
I plan to smoke butts, brisket, and ribs mostly.
Have Chainsaw Will Travel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I guess the first question to you would be.................................

What type of smoker are you thinking about building?? Vertical, offset, reverse flow???

If an off set or reverse flow, What diameter and length of cooking chamber??

These will help determine the rack spacing. :D
Jim
Jim_K
Pilgrim

Postby Jim_K » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm thinking of building an offset, reverse flow.
not sure if im going with a tank yet might build it from scratch with 1/4" plate steel.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 pm

The length of the cooking chamber and the diameter of the chamber will be important as to the placement of the grates. :D

I used to cook on a Lang, but I don't remember( been too long ago ) what the measurement was between the grates. Sorry.

JamesB, will hopefully be along soon to help answer some of your questions. I know he has one and lots of pics that may help you out with some questions. :D
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:53 pm

My preference, if I were to build an off-set pit, would be a regular offset with tuning plates and a vertical cooking/warming chamber at the end. They use a little less fuel and with the tuning plates the upright can be used for cooking and not just as a warmer. :D JMHO-YMMV
Jim
Jim_K
Pilgrim

Postby Jim_K » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Thank you,
I have thought a lot about design and I was planing on going with a reverse flow like the lang with a warmer/smoker on top of the firebox.
the plan is to feed the vertical chamber through the horizontal pit for smoke. also I have thought about adding a damper directly from the firebox to the vertical with a defuser plate with holes to feed the vertical section probably wont need much to get it up to temps mainly just for smoke of If I want to do a small cook and just use the vertical.
The horizontal if I make from scratch should be around 30" x 60" and the vertical 24"x24"x36" tall or so.
here is a rough sectch demitions are not correct just a draft of my idea.

Last edited by Jim_K on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 pm

My Lang the warmer box was just that a warmer box. In the newer Langs, the box can be used for cooking. They have some kind of baffle in them from the cook chamber and one from the fire box. Maybe you could do some research and find a couple pics of their setup to help with your build. :D

Good concept in your drawing. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 pm

I ain't no pit builder, but if I was working with 30" pipe and starting from scratch, I would put the reverse flow plate about 8" off the bottom of the pit. 6" above that I would put my bottom grate, then 8" above that, I would put my second grate. This would leave you 8" between the cooking grates and 8" from the top grate and the top of the pit. Just thinking out loud here.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Just a suggestion, but to save on tuition I'd go to school on Gator and /or Klose pits. Stop by the the next comp in the area with a tape measure. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 pm

That's a good idea adding a stack to the horizontal as well as the vertical, but take it to the bank, it will be much hotter than you think in the vertical. My FB is double wall/insulated and the vertical above the FB easily runs 30* hotter than the horizontal. My RH Vertical works great for a warming box but I can also get it up to about 225 along with the horizontal. LH would be around 250 to 265 at that point. I'm dampered between the FB and the heat "tunnel" and the wall between the Horizontal and the RH vertical. One thing I would suggest would be the addition of 2 or 3 flat bars welded on edge to the bottom of the reverse flow plate to help fend off warping. Mine is just plate and yup, it warped. I would do the same thing with the bottom of the vertical for the same reason.
Good Luck,
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
Jim_K
Pilgrim

Postby Jim_K » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks all.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”