Building New 325 gallon Trailer mounted Smoker 8/25/09 pics

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Double axle. It's safer if you have a blow out and it backs up easier.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:06 pm

OSD wrote:Weight is not the only consideration in determining how many axles. One major consideration is going to be the length, also the height and balance ( tongue weight ). At 10' of tank plus the firebox hanging off the back, you are talking almost 13' not counting any front V and tongue. By the time you are done, you are looking at a minimum of 16' overall length and that is only 3' for the front V and hitch. A single axle may hold the weight, but I would want a tandem axle for balance, tongue weight. It's also not as likely to sway when traveling ( wind will push that length trailer around ), and safety if you ever had a flat with that length, height, and weight of trailer. If a tire goes down it could flip or twist the frame or grind down the bottom of the firebox. IMO-YMMV

Ive been thinking a Tandem is the way to go, but trying to stay economical. I guess that is kind of a Oxymoron. I was also thinking that with a Tandem the up keep cost is twice as much. Four Tires instead of 2. I go through alot of tolls so that would be more i think, ETC.
BBQ and USF Bulls Football/Tailgating
https://www.facebook.com/fullbullbbq

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Im with OSD on this one, thats a l-o-n-g trailer to be pulling with one axel - it dosnt seem very safe to me...maybe something to think about.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:13 pm

HarvestMoon wrote:Double axle. It's safer if you have a blow out and it backs up easier.

While I agree that a dual axle trailer is safer for all of the reasons stated previously, what makes them easier to back up? I routinely tow both single and dual axle trailers and I have not noticed a different. What do you think makes them easier to back?
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:18 pm

JamesB wrote:
HarvestMoon wrote:Double axle. It's safer if you have a blow out and it backs up easier.

While I agree that a dual axle trailer is safer for all of the reasons stated previously, what makes them easier to back up? I routinely tow both single and dual axle trailers and I have not noticed a different. What do you think makes them easier to back?

I work at the fire station and we have a trailer that is Tandem axle. I think its the length of the trailer that affects the backing of it. My little 150 smoker is a single axel and is a really short trailer and you turn a inch and it cuts a mile.

harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:18 pm

JamesB wrote:

James, I don't have the "touch" in backing a trailer and a single seems to me to turn sharper and I tend to over correct. :D
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:24 pm

bwsdj wrote:I work at the fire station and we have a trailer that is Tandem axle. I think its the length of the trailer that affects the backing of it. My little 150 smoker is a single axel and is a really short trailer and you turn a inch and it cuts a mile.

HarvestMoon wrote:James, I don't have the "touch" in backing a trailer and a single seems to me to turn sharper and I tend to over correct. :D

I too think that it is the trailer/tongue length combination that provides ease in backing... The shorter trailers can be a pain! In general though, if I can see the trailer behind my truck, I can put 'em where I want 'em. A buddy has a little 8' flat bed utility trailer with a short tongue that I can't see from the drivers seat and it is a PITA to back.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:03 pm

bwsdj wrote:
OSD wrote:Weight is not the only consideration in determining how many axles. One major consideration is going to be the length, also the height and balance ( tongue weight ). At 10' of tank plus the firebox hanging off the back, you are talking almost 13' not counting any front V and tongue. By the time you are done, you are looking at a minimum of 16' overall length and that is only 3' for the front V and hitch. A single axle may hold the weight, but I would want a tandem axle for balance, tongue weight. It's also not as likely to sway when traveling ( wind will push that length trailer around ), and safety if you ever had a flat with that length, height, and weight of trailer. If a tire goes down it could flip or twist the frame or grind down the bottom of the firebox. IMO-YMMV

Ive been thinking a Tandem is the way to go, but trying to stay economical. I guess that is kind of a Oxymoron. I was also thinking that with a Tandem the up keep cost is twice as much. Four Tires instead of 2. I go through alot of tolls so that would be more i think, ETC.

Tire wear would be less on the tandem because of weight distribution per tire and which in turn will create less side wall flex on the tires from bumps and turns. A good set of Buddie bearing protectors will help with the maintenance too. An extra couple $$ in tolls would be worth the added safety to me.

I think people think a tandem is easier because it reacts to turns slower. A single axle turns very quick and most people over correct and end up all out of shape. JMO-YMMV
Jim
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Well i have decided to go with a Tandem Axle. I am picking it up tomorrow. I got a 5x12 Tandem, which should work very well with my new Tank.

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm

bwsdj wrote:Well i have decided to go with a Tandem Axle. I am picking it up tomorrow. I got a 5x12 Tandem, which should work very well with my new Tank.

Sounds like a good choice. :thap:

Don't forget the pics. :D 8)
Jim
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:43 pm

OSD wrote:
bwsdj wrote:Well i have decided to go with a Tandem Axle. I am picking it up tomorrow. I got a 5x12 Tandem, which should work very well with my new Tank.

Sounds like a good choice. :thap:

Don't forget the pics. :D 8)

I will get some of the New trailer tomorrow and get them up.

bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Ok i picked up the Trailer late this afternoon and man is it nice :D. It pulls like a dream. Hopefully it pulls as good when i get the new grille on there. IT was dark when i got home so i will get some pics tomorrow morning and get them up. :D

bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:15 pm

Sorry for the delay on getting the pics up. The expanded metal flooring is not welded in yet because my welding buddy is probably going to have to add some ribs because most likely the current ones will not line up with the feet on the tank.

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Looks like a good platform to start with!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Nice trailer. :D That should pull great when you're done.. 8)
Jim

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”