reverse flow

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chicago jack
Pilgrim

reverse flow

Postby chicago jack » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:09 am

Hi there guys, I.m about to build a trailer mounted offset but would like to understand the meaning of reverse flow and its benefits. any help please. John
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Re: reverse flow

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am

chicago jack wrote:Hi there guys, I.m about to build a trailer mounted offset but would like to understand the meaning of reverse flow and its benefits. any help please. John

The fire box and smoke stack are located on the same end of the offset; a plate is installed below grill level with an opening at the opposite end. Heat/Smoke exists the fire box under the plate, travels the length of the horizonal and then back over the top of the plate to exit the smoke stack. I have built three reverse flow pits and was not happy with the performance of any of them, although my brother-in-law has had great success in comp cooks cooking on one and just swears by it's performance. Hope this helps answer your question.
BAR "G"
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 am

I agree with you, Donnie...I have cooked on one in the past, I didnt like the way it drafts and I dont like holding the smoke in the cooker that long..
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:41 am

You'll hear pro's and con's for reverse flow smokers. I cooked on a Lang for years, they have good points and short comings. I didn't like that the upright was just a warmer and not for cooking. The one thing for sure, they are fuel hogs. They use quite a bit more fuel than a regular offset.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:28 pm

The others above already explained the reverse flow. I have both! The reverse flow is 8' x 30" and my 'traditional' offset is 8' x 48". They both cook great. As Jim mentioned, the reverse flow design does tend to utitilze more fuel, but in my case, not that much more. I think reverse flow pits are great for smaller pits, but if building a larger one, my personal preference is a traditional offset with tuning plates.
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm also engaging in building a trailer mounted smoker, but haven't decided on a reverse flow or regular offset. JamesB, how do the tuning plates and how are they placed in the smoker? [/quote]
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm

jlabolt wrote:I'm also engaging in building a trailer mounted smoker, but haven't decided on a reverse flow or regular offset. JamesB, how do the tuning plates and how are they placed in the smoker?

Check out this website. It has an explanation and some pics of tuning plates.
http://www.bbquepits.com/images/ACCESSO ... PLATES.htm
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:17 pm

I got a question. Is there a set distance that the plate needs to be below the lower rack?? My pit has a large square tube welded in from the fire box into the cooking chamber and is like Half a inch below the lower cooking rack. I used it yesterday and it seemed to work really good. but i did hear alot of sizzling from juices dripping onto the tube.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't think there is a set distance. It really depends on the pit and the person building it. You just don't want the plates, or in your case the tube to be so close that it scorches what ever is on the bottom rack. Sizzliing juices are normal... The plates on my revers flow are only about 6" below the bottom grate. If yours works for ya...
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm thinking that i wish mine would have been a little bit farther away then it is. But yesterday was the 1st time using the grille with the new Tube i had installed and it seemed to work awesome. Ill have to give it a few more tries for a deff verdict.
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks JamesB, but I guess I phrased my question wrong. I was wondering where your plates were and how far above the bottom of the pit. I see now that my question got answered anyways, except for how much room you should have below the plates. I'm sure this varies, but is there an average distance or a threshold you shouldn't go below.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Well on my reverse flow, the solid plate is mounted about 9" above the bottom of the pit and about 6 inches below the cooking grate. I think it would work just as well lowered a couple of inches in the pit to give me more grate room, but I didn't build it.

My larger offset actually has no plates. at 48" in diameter and the firebox mounted centrally on the end of the cook chamber, I've never seen a need for them in this pit. I didn't build this pit either (it's older than I am), and I've never really seen one configured exactly like it, but it works. I think tuning plates really come into play on smaller diameter pits.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”