Any thoughts or experience with this kind is rig?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

3StratMan
Pilgrim

Any thoughts or experience with this kind is rig?

Postby 3StratMan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:47 pm

The Big Smokey

link: http://www.mikesell.net/smoker/

Image location edited by DATsBBQ
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:11 pm

I've never cooked on one, but there has been a lot of discussion of them over the years on the various forums. Most reviews were positive. Seemed to cook well enough, but a bit fuel hungry.

I would guess that you are looking to build something similar? Have you seen the UDS type of upright barrel cookers? They are great cookers and very easy to build...

Welcome to the forum btw... When ya get a chance, wonder on over to the Wanted Posters section and tell us a bit about yerself.
3StratMan
Pilgrim

Postby 3StratMan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm leaning toward building one for the occasional large outing. Have a Silver Smoker that I use for regular weekend use, but it ends up being way too small for cooking for more than about 15 people. I'm thinking about sacrificing a third barrel for the ends to add about 8 inches on both sides of the cook chamber to get a little more cooking area. The UDS rig looks pretty good, but I'm not sure it would be big enough for a large gathering of 50 or more, unless I had more than one. I'd rather only have to tend to one rig in those situations.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Not trying to steer ya away from the big baby concept, just offering an alterative. Of course the UDS does have it's limitations, very few in number they may be, but I have two large trailered offsets and a WSM for other duties...

Now i have seen the big baby concept using two full sized drums on top to increase cooking space. I'll see if I can locate the pics of that one for ya if ya want.
3StratMan
Pilgrim

Postby 3StratMan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Awesome if you can. Saw a very small pic if a 2 top barrel big baby, but couldn't get a large view of it without paying for a subscription to the forum. Needless to say I never got a good look at it.
ynot?!
Pilgrim

Postby ynot?! » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 pm

I built one several years ago, probably 20 years ago! Anyway, It cooked awesome. The only issue, it didn't take long for the firebox to rust out. About 1-1/2 years and i had rust holes. But, i didn't make a grate and it stayed out in the weather and I kept forgetting to cover the exhaust so rain kept getting in.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong!
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Could you possibly be talking about this one?

Here's the link.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”