Offset pit with a vertical on the opposite end of the fire b

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Offset pit with a vertical on the opposite end of the fire b

Postby super8mm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Do any of you us a Offset pit with a vertical low temp on the opposite end of the fire box?

Ifn you do how do you like it and what all do you use it for? Cheese, warming and that sort of thing? :?
finney USER_AVATAR
Finney
Pilgrim

Postby Finney » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:37 pm

I've got a friend that has one. We use it to keep stuff warm mainly.
Iron Pig BBQ Competition Cooking Team - www.IronPigBBQ.com
"Reverse Sear" info website - www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm

I've cooked on this one (a friends Gator Pit) several times using the upright but we didn't use it as a low temp area. With the tuning plates in the pit, it can be adjusted to cook at relatively close temps to the horizontal so we just used it as additional cooking space.

The plates can be adjusted for a cool smoke in the upright, we've just never done it... It can also be set to where the upright is hotter than the main chamber.

Here is the pit I'm talking about.
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Finney wrote:I've got a friend that has one. We use it to keep stuff warm mainly.

Thanks Finney it would be nice if you had something that got done a little quicker to just leave it wraped and put it in that part.
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:12 pm

JamesB wrote:I've cooked on this one (a friends Gator Pit) several times using the upright but we didn't use it as a low temp area. With the tuning plates in the pit, it can be adjusted to cook at relatively close temps to the horizontal so we just used it as additional cooking space.

The plates can be adjusted for a cool smoke in the upright, we've just never done it... It can also be set to where the upright is hotter than the main chamber.

Here is the pit I'm talking about.

Thanks JamesB, that’s they style I have been looking at.

I guess if we get a stimulus return of some of my money from the Gov. I can use it to stimulate the economy :D

Reckon if I am going to do it just do it all at once.
ynot?!
Pilgrim

Postby ynot?! » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:52 pm

I use mine as additional cooking space too.

I have tuning plates in mine that James refers to. I can at times maintain even cooking temps all the way accross, but everything (including the weather) has to be just right. Normally it runs about 25 degrees cooler in the vertical section, so If I am cooking at 250 in the horizontal I can cook at around 225 in the vertical.

In terms of food getting done early, I just wrap and put in a cooler. I cooked 4 butts for a new years and wrapped with aluminum foil and towels and left them in the cooler over night, pulled the next day @ 170 degrees.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong!
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:46 pm

That is good to know about the cooler ynot?! Thanks

I am liking the idea of the versitality of the upright :)
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:12 pm

One thing to keep in mind is the larger and longer the horizonal gets the harder it gets to maintain temp of the upright. An 8 foot X 30 inch horizonal with tuning plates running 250* in the horizonal chamber results in about 175* to 200* in the upright. As stated above weather and ambient temp make a big difference.
BAR "G"
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:31 pm

thanks Bar G, I am thinking of a horizontal run of about 48" to 60" hopefully it will keep the temperature differential to a minimum?

I have already found issues on my current smoker holding temperature in cold weather :-(

I hope this post works, it is from my phone :-)
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Aloha Super8mm,

I have a Gator 24x48 w/ upright. I have made good use of the vertical being able to Q lots of meat for big parties. I am also able to use just the vertical part for smaller cooks by having the fire on the wood/charcoal grate in the bottom. It is almost like having a UDS or a WSM. :roll:

a hui hou,
honu41
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:23 pm

honu41 wrote:I have a Gator 24x48 w/ upright. I have made good use of the vertical being able to Q lots of meat for big parties. I am also able to use just the vertical part for smaller cooks by having the fire on the wood/charcoal grate in the bottom. It is almost like having a UDS or a WSM. :roll:
a hui hou,

This sounds like it can be a very versatile way to go, thanks honu41 :)
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 pm

I can heat the horiz and the RH vertical (6 racks) to run evenly at 235* while the LH, (4 racks over the FB) runs about 45* higher....normally just use the RH as a holding/warming box. Note, pic was taken when I was adding the roof, a must here in this part of the country....
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:35 pm

DJ wrote:I can heat the horiz and the RH vertical (6 racks) to run evenly at 235* while the LH, (4 racks over the FB) runs about 45* higher....normally just use the RH as a holding/warming box.
dj

Thanks DJ, I guess a lot of it is in practice, practice, practice :wink:

Wow that is one heck of a pit you have there. :D
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 pm

In another post, you said space was an issue with a trailer offset smoker. My question to you is have you considered an insulated vertical smoker like a Spicewine, Stumps, Superior( old style Stump's), or a Backwoods? They take up a lot less space, have good capacities, very even temps, and are very fuel efficient. I used to smoke on a Lang offset and went to a Spicewine. I love not having to stoke the fire every hour. With a maze and no Stoker I can get 6 - 8 hour burn times. Guys with the Stoker or DigiQ can get 12 + hours burn time. Might be something to consider. :D
Jim
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks OSD, my space problem is limited to a 48" gate getting into my back yard. I cant drive my turck back there yet but if I take out 2 trees, a basketball goal post then build a retaining wall and back fill then I can put in a 9' gate in and drive back there. :)

My other option is rebuild my back fence and put a gate there then just drive across about 60' of green space there, the city said I can put a gate there but not drive across the green space :cry:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”