Clean A Smoker???

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texstarjim USER_AVATAR
TexstarJim
Pilgrim

Clean A Smoker???

Postby TexstarJim » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:17 am

This topic may have been discussed earlier in here at some time, but forgive me if I ask again.

Other than sand-blasting, what is the best way to clean a smoker of the creosote build-up? It's actually too large to load up and take to the car wash.

Thanks, Jim :)
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 pm

After several cooking sessions I build a hot fire using dried mesquite to burn off the cresote, then pressure wash with just plain water. Several years ago I purchased a cheap pressure washer from Wakmart for just that purpose. One word of caution; remove temperature gauges. A pair burner also works great just be careful you don't ruin your paint job. A paint scraper is another alternative and more labor intensive.
BAR "G"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:31 pm

If your getting creosote buildup, you ain't burning a clean fire to begin with. Try running with a small hot fire with a bit of flame visible. Don't try to build a large fire and choke it down...

As for the build up, get you a wall board tape knife or a wide spatula and get to scraping. Once you get all you can off by hand, get the weed burner out and burn the rest until it carbonized and scrape again. You may need to re-season again...
texstarjim USER_AVATAR
TexstarJim
Pilgrim

Postby TexstarJim » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:04 am

Ok, thanks for the info guys. This is actually my son's smoker that I'm speaking about. I looked at it on Christmas because he complained that the meat had a "funny flavor".

I'll pass the info on to him. :)

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”