Building a Pig Roaster with Rotisserie

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RookiePig
Pilgrim

Building a Pig Roaster with Rotisserie

Postby RookiePig » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm new here and I need help. I'm building a pig roaster out of your ordinary 275 gallon tank. Got it cut, strengthend the perimiter, long piano hinge on the lid, etc…. I am planning on putting a rotisserie as well. I have a half hp motor (1750) RPM, bolted to a speed reducer 200:1, little sprocket to big sprocket on the spit, I calculate it to be between 3 and 4 rpm's.

My problem lies with the height of the pig from the fire below. I have made the spit adjustable in height from the outside of the cooker. By doing this, the hole on each side of the lid will have to be very large to allow the lid to close down around the spit wherever the height of the spit may be. My question is do I need to make it adjustable, and if so will the large holes on the side let out too much heat and or smoke?

I'm planning on using this thing as a traditional grill as well as turning chickens, turkeys, ribs or whatever else on the rotisserie. I can send some pics if anyone needs to see them.

Thanks!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Post some pics here in this thread... It will help us to help you.
RookiePig
Pilgrim

Postby RookiePig » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:38 pm

Here's a link.
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/rookiePig/DSC_0361.jpg
I used photoshop to paint white lines on the upright tubes to indicate where the each height adjustment is.

If you look at the tank you will see red paint where I scratched the tank to indicate the path of where the spit will go at it's highest setting. If it's at it's lowest setting, the bushing you see that holds the spit is almost at the bottom of the lid, which is where my problem lies.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Welcome, stop over at the Wanted Posters section and introduce yourself. :D

My first question is why are you hinging the whole top? Why not just hinge a large door that hinges from top center and between the sides? That would solve several things you mention. The large holes in the sides, and would strengthen the sides.

Second thing, It sounds as if you are spinning the shaft at too high of speed. Most rotisseries spin at 1RPM.

Third thing to consider is making the fire grate adjustable and leave the rotisserie shaft at it's highest setting. This would also help when doing grilling.

Some more pics would be helpful. :D
Jim
RookiePig
Pilgrim

Postby RookiePig » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Here's a drawing i made to more clearly define my problem. The area in red is where my hole will have to be cut out.
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/rookiePig/scan.jpg

As for your solution, I'm not sure I follow you "large door that hinges from top center and between the sides"...This is where the pics help.

The reason I am hinging the whole top is because I also welded in supports for grilling as well as burners, so this could also be used as a large grill for corn, large backyard bbq's, etc.

As for the RPM of the spit, I'm not 100% on the large sprocket for the spit. If it's too fast I'll get a larger one, if 1 RPM is where I should be.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Are you using gas or charcoal for the heat?
Jim
RookiePig
Pilgrim

Postby RookiePig » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 pm

1 Gas burner on the bottom to start charcoal / wood on bottom below the fire grate.

Also below the grill surface I have 3 burners to use for burgers, dogs, etc. Also I could use these as "more heat" during hog cooking.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Never seen a set-up like that. You have gas burners above the the burning wood/ charcoal on the fire grate? That sounds dangerous. Post some actual pics of the pit and the inside set-up. I may not be understanding what you are saying :D
Jim
RookiePig
Pilgrim

Postby RookiePig » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 pm

I will once I get the burners installed, I just made them all out of black iron this evening.

But back to my original question, should I NOT allow for height adjustment for the rotisserie and just cut a banana shaped slice in each side of the tank? I'm not sure if this would be a nice feature or not. If the adjustment is at it's center, it will allow me about a foot of clearence before the pig would hit the lid. I've never done anything like this before so i have no idea if that is enough clearence. What is a ballpark diameter of a 60 to 80 lb. pig?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:28 pm

OSD wrote:Third thing to consider is making the fire grate adjustable and leave the rotisserie shaft at it's highest setting. This would also help when doing grilling.

Some more pics would be helpful. :D

From what little I've seen and read here, this might be your best option.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Aloha and welcome. I have been rotissin' hogs for over 50 years.

I just helped my cousin's son build a pig roaster from a salvaged pit he found in the Nevada desert. I gave him a worm drive I bought on eBay. We used it for the first time on Nov 29th and it worked great. The hog was only 65 lbs and it took 5-1/2 hours to reach 160 deg.

I have built 4 pig rotiss's in the last 2 years using salvaged worm gear drives and motors. The speed is about 3 rpm and in my experience I find it ideal. Any slower may heat the outer regions of the pig too fast causing blistering of the skin and premature browning of the skin.

We didn't close the lid of the pit at all and wanted to try it like that. The full length lid would have to be altered to allow complete closure. We had oak wood burning only on the side of the hinged lid. We tried having fire on far and near side but it got too hot and caused the skin to darken too fast forming unsightly blisters.

I can send you pics if you want to your address. I still have problems posting pics on the forum. Will also be happy to answer questions that you may have.

a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”