cold smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

desert rat
Wrangler

cold smoker

Postby desert rat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:34 pm

I want to build a cold smoker. When I was in Tennessee I had a smokehouse. What we did was after the hams were sugared was lay hickory logs about 4 to 8 inches in diameter on the floor with about 4-6â€
SECOND AMENDMENT
THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:47 pm

I've thought about making a cold smoker out of an old fridge several times. The one thing I've just about decided on is that it will be electric. You could still do your remote firebox idea, but I'd use an electrical burner and a pan of sawdust. I really don't want to be tending a fire for as long as it takes some stuff the get cold smoked... My $.02
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:22 pm

JamesB wrote:I've thought about making a cold smoker out of an old fridge several times. The one thing I've just about decided on is that it will be electric. You could still do your remote firebox idea, but I'd use an electrical burner and a pan of sawdust. I really don't want to be tending a fire for as long as it takes some stuff the get cold smoked... My $.02

Ditto to the above.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I did pretty good cold smoking some meat using my offset smoker and putting an electric hotplate in the firebox and a cast iron skillet of sawdust.
Stan
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:41 pm

A word of caution if using a old fridge or similar you must have adequate ventilation or you will have moisture build up. It isn't too hard to do for cold smoking but if you try to hold some heat it can be an issue.

Also if you can find a really old fridge fine but ones made in most of your lifetimes have had plastic interiors that you certainly don't want to get warm.
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:47 pm

Papa Tom wrote:A word of caution if using a old fridge or similar you must have adequate ventilation or you will have moisture build up. It isn't too hard to do for cold smoking but if you try to hold some heat it can be an issue.

Also if you can find a really old fridge fine but ones made in most of your lifetimes have had plastic interiors that you certainly don't want to get warm.

And don't forget the foam insulation that most are built with now gases off with heat.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:27 am

PT and Jim explained why I've only thought about building a cold smoker from a fridge... Have not found an old one that wasn't all plastic on the inside. OK, that and the fact that I haven't found one that the wife would let me keep in the back yard... :shock:
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:55 am

Now I always give credit for great ideas and products. As you can see the website for this unit and design if you wanted to go this route.

With that being said, you can easily make a cold smoker following this design. I make my cold smokes with a very similar design. You can modify a regular igloo cooler, mounting it upright so the lid acts as a regular door. Install shelving brackets in the cooler.

Being that I am working on selling them with my new pit line, I am still working on some details. As I have said in earlier posts, I don't plan on getting rich with my pits... (just survival!) I will post my design and pics once completed.

These cold smokers work off pellets.

My design is more like this guys. If I wasn't making my own, I would buy one of these. He has been selling these on eBay and his site for a good while (ebay keyword search : cold smoker). Although I don't know him personally, I have seen him around on the different BBQ sites and his rep is great.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”