Charcoal recommendations

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

junk yard dog USER_AVATAR
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Charcoal recommendations

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:14 am

I just ordered a Pro-Q water smoker to augment my offset BBQ pit, so I will be using more charcoal in the future. I've never paid much attention to the pros and cons of the different types and brands of charcoal, so I would appreciate any recommendations you might have.

I see there's a controversy about lump vs. briquette charcoal, etc. Whatever the recommendation is, I'd like to know where in Houston I might be able to find it.

Thanks in advance.
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:22 am

Have not tried the Lump as of yet, Just starting to see it from time to time here in the big city of Ennis. 99.999999999% when I use briquettes they are Kingsford.
ruger686 USER_AVATAR
ruger686
Rustler

Postby ruger686 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:31 am

I like Royal Oak lump charcoal. Lump tends to burn a little hotter than briquetts, but lump comes from hardwood which means it does impart flavor in your meat. Regular briquetts do not. Also, keep in mind that there are no "fillers" in lump charcoal. Briquetts often use fillers as a binder. Just my .02
-Bob

"Y'all can go to heck. I'm going to Texas." -Davy Crockett
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 am

I use a combo Royal Oak Lump and briquettes. Lump will burn hotter and you don't use as much of it. I like blending the 2. Whatever you do do NOT buy Cowboy Lump unless you want to be burnin old scrap wood, nails and rocks. :D
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:00 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:I use a combo Royal Oak Lump and briquettes. Lump will burn hotter and you don't use as much of it. I like blending the 2. Whatever you do do NOT buy Cowboy Lump unless you want to be burnin old scrap wood, nails and rocks. :D

I agree. :D
Jim
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:00 pm

OK not to throw JYD's post in different direction but......

If your used to briquettes, what if anything do you different when you switch over to burning Lump?
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Toontroller wrote:OK not to throw JYD's post in different direction but......

If your used to briquettes, what if anything do you different when you switch over to burning Lump?

No problem TT. Good question. Thanks to all that have responded. Sounds like Royal Oak is a good brand. Googling tells me that Wally World carries it.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:17 pm

I too agree with SteerCrazy. Royal Oak products used to be my choice for my water smokers. I'm sure they will be again once I deplete my suppy of Ranchers briquettes.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Intake vent settings will be different for the most part. burn rate is different also. It's just a little different and takes some adjustment to using it. Different smokers burn different when using lump. Some better, some not. :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:58 pm

If you ever want to fly first class get yourself some Ozark Oak lump. It's made in Yellville, Arkansas..actually Snow, Arkansas..but guess Yellville has a catchier name to it. Can be hard to find at times. Know of a least two places to buy it retail around Foat Wuth. I hear a lot of grocery stores peddle it in E. Texas..but I try to stay out of E. Texas. Not sure how long some of them statutes of limitations last in that neck o the woods. Some of them folks cook with Pine ya know? I guess they is the ones who can't afford the charcoal.

bigwheel
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:07 pm

bigwheel wrote:I try to stay out of E. Texas. Not sure how long some of them statutes of limitations last in that neck o the woods.
bigwheel

Don't worry, Bigwheel. All people look the same to sheep. They'll never be able to identify you. :lol:
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
bigwheel wrote:I try to stay out of E. Texas. Not sure how long some of them statutes of limitations last in that neck o the woods.
bigwheel

Don't worry, Bigwheel. All people look the same to sheep. They'll never be able to identify you. :lol:

:ddumb: :dshock: :dgrin:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Lump is the way to go. Yeah, it burns hotter so just adjust the vents for less air flow and you can keep the temp where ever you like.

Bricketts are full of fillers and binders.

Don't light lump with lighter fluid :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Well let me try to splains this like this old boy I know from over in Glenrose tried to splain to the Titus County Deputy Dawg one dark night..."Would you believe I was just trying to help that po Nanny Goat to get over the fence?" Now how the bib overhauls wound up down around his brogans...aint quite sure whut he tole the deputy on that deal but it musta worked cuz he got off with probation from whut I heard. Fortunantly I was waiting in the pickup. All I got was a stern lecture and tole never to come back to Titus County..whew.

bigwheel
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 pm

bigwheel wrote:Well let me try to splains this like this old boy I know from over in Glenrose tried to splain to the Titus County Deputy Dawg one dark night..."Would you believe I was just trying to help that po Nanny Goat to get over the fence?" Now how the bib overhauls wound up down around his brogans...aint quite sure whut he tole the deputy on that deal but it musta worked cuz he got off with probation from whut I heard. Fortunantly I was waiting in the pickup. All I got was a stern lecture and tole never to come back to Titus County..whew.

bigwheel

Glad you didn't say that old boy wuz from Peaster! :out:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”