Charcoal recommendations

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

junk yard dog USER_AVATAR
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Lump charcoal question

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:37 pm

With briquettes, you should wait until the briquettes are white hot before putting on the meat -- probably because of the chemical binding in putting them together.

So, does that mean that I can start cooking with lump before all of the pieces are white hot? Some of those pieces are really big and would take a long time to get fully hot.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:33 pm

I fire my WSM and UDSs via the Minion method that calls for loading the charcoal ring/basket with charcoal and wood chunks (you could use lump here too) and then lighting just a few coals. Put the burning coals on the unlite and adjust temps via air intake...

Never had a problem with it... Now if your talking grilling, then I do wait for the coals to ash over.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:11 pm

JYD... true lump is just burnt off wood chunks. Tons of sites that show you how to make your own. Being that lump is just burnt wood chunks, you don't have to wait till white as some do with charcoal. If I am doing the grillin stuff, I like HEB brand misquite charcoal. They also carry wood chunks. I don't mess with lump unless I am looking for long burns. If I am smoking, I just skip the lump and get the logs burning. I echo the "don't use lighter fluid" statement... I like using my weed burner to start'em up.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:28 am

Well that wasn't no thang..cuz aint nobody lives in Peaster:) They still got that branch of Obama's church going on down there?

bigwheel

Toontroller wrote:
bigwheel wrote:Well let me try to splains this like this old boy I know from over in Glenrose tried to splain to the Titus County Deputy Dawg one dark night..."Would you believe I was just trying to help that po Nanny Goat to get over the fence?" Now how the bib overhauls wound up down around his brogans...aint quite sure whut he tole the deputy on that deal but it musta worked cuz he got off with probation from whut I heard. Fortunantly I was waiting in the pickup. All I got was a stern lecture and tole never to come back to Titus County..whew.

bigwheel

Glad you didn't say that old boy wuz from Peaster! :out:
bigwheel
Outlaw

Re: Lump charcoal question

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:37 am

Yes yes..you start cooking with lump when it gets a little tinge of white around the edges of a few chunks. Course you can wait for it to get up to temps...but if you wait for it to turn solid white that is a sign to add more cuz whut you started with is done burned up. Will second TxGent on the flame thrower. Only way to light a fire in my book. Charcoal chimneys is for puss cakes who got too much free time on their hands and subscribe to left wing liberal newspapers. Thats how they wind up with the newspapers to light the chimneys as far as I can tell...and they bound to be liberal cuz that is the only kind which is allowed in Americka these days.

bigwheel

Junk Yard Dog wrote:With briquettes, you should wait until the briquettes are white hot before putting on the meat -- probably because of the chemical binding in putting them together.

So, does that mean that I can start cooking with lump before all of the pieces are white hot? Some of those pieces are really big and would take a long time to get fully hot.
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:54 am

bigwheel wrote:Charcoal chimneys is for puss cakes who got too much free time on their hands and subscribe to left wing liberal newspapers. Thats how they wind up with the newspapers to light the chimneys as far as I can tell...and they bound to be liberal cuz that is the only kind which is allowed in Americka these days.

FOR SALE

One Charcoal chimney (will trade for weed flame thrower)

Like new. Only used at peace rallies, Obama tailgate parties, Veterans for Peace marches, and Eco protests. Previously owned by the French ambassador.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 am

Junk Yard Dog wrote:One Charcoal chimney (will trade for weed flame thrower)

Like new. Only used at peace rallies, Obama tailgate parties, Veterans for Peace marches, and Eco protests. Previously owned by the French ambassador.

:ddumb:
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:48 pm

Ahhh sure do a heart good to hear such patriotic rhetoric expounded don't it? Think I will dig around and find my old chimney which aint never been used but once and mail it to Nancy Polosie or maybe Rosie whut's her face. Smart thinking. Might even send em my rib holding rack too. Thats another joke.

bigwheel
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 pm

darn! You all are costing me money. Bought a weed burner today. $79 at SW Fertilizer. They didn't have them at Home Depot.

Still haven't found Royal Oak in Houston. Seems Kingsford has a corner on the market.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Wow... You must of got a real good'n... Got mine at Harbor Freight for like $16 on sale a few years ago... You got a Harbor Freight near ya? Might save ya some coin...

Either way, bet ya gonna really like the flame thrower...
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 am

Yeppers..Harbor Freight is the best place to buy flame throwers. Wonder if they let you take the other one back to the feed store? Next time you need to check in here before you jump up and start buying stuff:)

bigwheel
Junk Yard Dog
Pilgrim

Postby Junk Yard Dog » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:33 am

bigwheel wrote:Yeppers..Harbor Freight is the best place to buy flame throwers. Wonder if they let you take the other one back to the feed store? Next time you need to check in here before you jump up and start buying stuff:)

bigwheel

Yep, I will. I think it's too late to take it back though .... I've ripped it out of it's shrink wrap. :oops:

But, this thread has certainly been worth $79 to me. Thanks guys !!!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:14 pm

Well you mighty welcome if I was any help to ya..and know James B standing by just chomping at the bit to be helpful to folks. Actually don't think you got that bad of a skinning. The local Mom n Pop got everything type feed store down here was charging $130 for the same gizmo last time I looked a few years back. Course they have to pay their bar tabs too ya know? Unless you got a retail Harbor Freight in your area you gonna have to pay shipping which prob just about cover the sales tax you would have saved :) Give you a hint now..if you jab that thang onto a pan o charcoal best keep your eyes closed and your head turned. It lights it so fast the stuff dont realize it is lit and likes to pop hot cinders into your eyes...just out of ignorance I assume. Think you will also find it very handy for grate cleaning purposes. Works much mo betta than soapy water:)

bigwheel
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:36 pm

We have 3 Harbor Freights in the Houston area. I bet the one JYD bought is one of those heavy duty ones. We have a ACE hardware here and they carry one for about $80.... but I tell you it is a heck of a lot more weed burner than the one I bought for $16 at HF. For what I use it for, my HF works great.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
u2plt USER_AVATAR
u2plt
Pilgrim

Lump vs Kingsford

Postby u2plt » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm

If you go to: www.nakedwhiz.com. He is a systems engineer by trade and a BGE & KK user has very interesting tests for All brands of charcoal on his WEB. He does not post anything crazy.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”