How do you control this?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

How do you control this?

Postby Delaware Smoker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Ok here's the problem.When I put the coals in my CG,heavy& thick white smoke roars out of it.I wait till it calms down,before adding food.when I go & refuel,same thing happens.I push tha already burning coals,close to the opening of the fire box.I just add a few unlit coals of to the side,so they barely touch the burning ones.same thing happens when i add a chunk or two of wood.after awhile,smoke dies & I'm left with a light blue smoke,which is good.the meat doesn't taste funky,because of the heavy smoke.but can this be unlimited?
Bill
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:45 pm

I have watched folks burn a seperate fire to get the wood or coals burned down before adding to the firebox. That helps eliminate the thick smoke. To much work for me. I just try to control the amount I add, or hopefully, have enough burning to last the entire cook.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 pm

wood always burns heavy smoke for a little while after adding, but once it gets going and you adjust the air, it normally settles down. The trick is to not see any smoke, or very little as it signals a clean fire.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:41 pm

You might try adding the new coals/chunks directly on top of the existing coal base...

I know that in my stick burners,if I preheat the logs I can avoid a lot of that heavy smoke, not sure how you could go about it on the CG...
el pistolero USER_AVATAR
El Pistolero
Pilgrim

Postby El Pistolero » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm

If you have a chimney starter, just start the briquettes or lump charcoal in the chimney, then dump them in once they're started...no smoke.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”