Offset or Bullet? Thinkin' about next smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

Offset or Bullet? Thinkin' about next smoker

Postby aks801 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Posted this on thesmokering, also wanted to hear from my txbbqforum brethren/sisters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I currently have a Weber 22 Kettle for grilling (love it!), and a modded ECB for smoking (not so much). Thinking ahead to what my big step-up is going to be. While I am mighty tempted to go with the WSM, especially now that a new larger size will be coming out, I just can't keep from thinking that what I REALLY want is an offset stick-burner. Main reason is that this is just what I think of when I think of a BBQ smoker. Basically, just some sort of emotional attachment.

With Gator and Klose both here in Houston, I'm blessed with some incredible selection (there are of course others available, but those are the two I'm currently drooling over). And, naturally, amazon.com can easily deliver my a WSM, so I guess that's not a factor. I mainly want to turn out good briskets, baby backs, sausage and whatnot. At some point I'd like to try a whole hog (which would point to the offset), but this will be a rarety.

Since both styles of cookers are capable of turning out great bbq (and me acknowledging it's more the cook him/herself rather than the equipment), is it really just a matter of getting what it is I really want (offset)? Or, are there other factors (other than cost: a nice Gator or Klose will be much more than a WSM) I should consider?

In a merry quandary, lookin' for opinions if ya got 'em.
alan in Katy, TX

Weber OTS Kettle. Weber 22.5 WSM
Gone but not forgotten: ECB
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Either one will serve you well. For prestige points go with the offset for good Q go with either. I personally use a pellet pit and although I catch some crap from the peanut section I ain't changing. BTW I've used a lot of different pits and own a expensive stick burner too but the bottom line is I just want good Q and image is not important.
I'll bet that if you had both a big offset and a WSM you'd use the WSM more often.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Think EGG, you don't have to worry about someone walking or driving off with it 8) :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Just my 2 cents; I favor the stick burner for authentic BBQ. Klose and Gator both make great pits and although the investment is higher than a WSM it's a life time pit if taken care of properly. I favor Gator simply because I previously owned one and Ritch is a great guy to deal with. I curremtly have an off-set I built, WSM, Webber Kettle "for Grilling" and a Backwoods Fat boy. The stick burner is my go to pit as well as comp pit; the fatboy when I feel lazy or simply want to do only ribs. I very seldom use the WSM.
BAR "G"
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:39 pm

I started with 1 WSM and needed something bigger so I got 2 WSM's. Used those consistently and always had good results with them. When I got into larger cooks I realized the WSM's weren't enough to suit my needs.

I seriously considered a Gator pit and like you wanted an off set because that 's what I related as a Q Pit

Then I thought about the Pro's and Con's with an offset and a similar style to my WSM but in a larger capacity. Larry Wolfe (a member and sponsor of the board) and I were chatting one day and said "why don't you check out a Spicewine".

So I considered that and it just made sense to me. I didn't have to feed a smoker every 2 hours with wood. I didn't have to have split logs on hand consistently for fuel. I could sleep somewhat through the night.

So for me, I personally decided on a Spicewine and it was the best decision I made.

Now for smaller cooks I still use my WSM. It doesn't make sense to fire up my large smoker for a couple racks of ribs and a pork shoulder or a brisket and a few lbs of sausage.

Now many people love stick burners, love tweaking and playing with them to get their temps right and if that's your thing I say go for it.

If you're lazy like Papa Tom with a pellet smoker you plug in and set the dial or Dats with a Ceramic Smoker you feed once with fuel and it cooks through 24 hours without using any of that fuel, well you might consider those options. :wink: :lol:

Looks at the Pro's and Con's with each type of smoker. They're great for show when you have parties and friends over but you're going to be the one manning the thing throughout the whole entire cook many times through the night and by yourself unless you have someone that helps out.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide to do :D
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:30 pm

I think everyone has given you some great advise. :D I can't speak of a WSM because I've never cooked on one, but I have also never heard anything bad about them. Pellet cookers are good too. If I were to get a bigger smoker, I would be lookin' real hard at a Fast Eddie. Ceramics are very versatile cookers, although limited in size. I grew up smokin' and grillin' on brick pits and offsets on the farm because that's what Dad had. I smoke on a Spicewine now. The smoker I used before that was a Lang reverse flow offset smoker. One thing I don't miss about the offset is handling all the wood. Stacking, cutting splitting, and having to haul everywhere I went to smoke. And don't forget you're going to have to store that wood somewhere to dry and for use. I will most likely not get rid of the Spicewine because it works for what I need. I also have several UDSs I use and a couple kettles. My next cooker will be a ceramic ( BGE or Primo ) because of the versatility it offers.
You need to do as SC said sit down and figure out what you want and what you need, then start comparing. :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Well as usual..got to agree with OSD on this one. While I will readily admit its hard to duplicate the flavor of a well manipulated offset in the hands of somebody who know whut they doing..the logistics of the operation is a little overwhelming for city boys. You normally got to buy the wood..or cut it your self..age it..haul it..load and unload it...listen to Mama nag cuz you got 7 cords of rotten wood in the backyard where all the rats live..blah blah blah. I have a big offset..which also works fairly well as an upright direct cooker when cooking in the vertical...and hot or cold smokes sausage in the same location. It hasn't seen a fire in the offset mode in years...simply because I dont normally cook enough meat at one time to justify firing it up. I also have several ECB variants of which I just love the electric model..it actually the Gourmet Model where you can set the barrell off the base etc. For anything big like briskets or turkeys..butts etc. I use the elec gourmet. For about 90% of grilling chores the gasser gets the nod. May not be as good as charcoal but it aint much worse if any that I can tell..and it sure handy. If I ever bought another pit other than a gasser or electric..it would be an insulated direct upright..BWS...Stumps or Spicewine. They just make more sense to me due to the fuel economy...lack of labor intensity...lack of being sensitive to adverse weather etc.

bigwheel

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”