Picked up another smoker......More pics Added

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Picked up another smoker......More pics Added

Postby DJ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Well, the hog roasting partnership, (had hooked up with a friend with a hog roaster) was not working out the way I once anticipated, :roll: so I bought an older, probably 6 to 10 year old Southern Yankee barrel smoker on a trailer. 4 ft D x 6 ft L. The rotiss has been removed and two grates replaced it. Gonna have to do a bit of retro fitting and a lot of cleaning and painting, (lotsa rust right now), but figure it ought to make an xcellent hog cooker. Price was right :lol:. Have not actually picked it up yet as last night, all day and tomorrow are spent at the pit. Did a 60 meal drop for noon, and opened for the day. Another small backyard party tomorrow, 125 person Wednesday, 50 person Saturday and 75 person Sunday. This is gonna be a trying week. I'll put up a cpl pics when I pick'er up.
dj

Think I have 'em at 600x800 now.....if they still look larger than what is allowed, let me know

Ohhhh Noooooo, what have I gotten Myself into???
feelin like Mr Bill :lol:
Hmmmmmm, lotsa retro-fit......
Wait until you see this in a month or so!!
Gonna make a great pig cooker....I hope...

Last edited by DJ on Sat May 30, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 12 times in total.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Congrats. :D Sounds like a great addition. :D
Sounds like your busy. 8)
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Congrats on the new addition... Looking forward to the pics!

Sure sounds like your keep'n busy up there! Keep on keeping on!

James.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Pix :shock: 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:09 pm

Man DJ you're lookin at a workout....
I looked at Southern Yankees but didn't buy one because of quality control. I think the design is fine but multiple intakes compounded air leak problems. Drove up to Indiana to look at their plant, nice folks. I think you made a good score there, did you get the parts for the rotisserie?
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:09 am

Post pics when you have time, but from the sounds of things you are really busy! 8)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Pretty busy fer sure. No, PT, the rotiss is history, previous owner had a lot of problems with it.....now, this thang ain't very pretty, lotsa rust now, but will clean up and make a pretty good hog roaster, at least I'm hoping. and, yur right, I looked at 'em back in 03, website was much better than the product. also, this is not the set up with the little log cabin, just the smoker welded to 2x2 sq tubing making up the trailer. Took some pics today and I'll post them tomorrow. Talked with a guy today, welder friend, and we're gonna get started pretty quick. I also need it just to warm stuff for catering so I don't tie up the big boy.
dj

Caldwell, Texas Native
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:53 pm

Well sounds like you squatting in tall cotton to me. The only problemos I ever heard about em is the rotess get stuck in the ferris wheel mode and dump all the meat in the bottton of the pit..which wasnt too easy to retrieve cuz of the rotess being a hinderance to unfettered access to the bottom. For the firebox placement and such thangs..I thought it was a purty good idear. Congrats on buying it cheap. Remeber a little rust never hurt anybody...it good for a person.

bigwheel
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 am

BW, that was definitly a problem and is the reason this one has no rotiss. Same guy has the SYankee log cabin and same pit w/the rotiss, but just uses it fer ribs as it gets out of balance and dumps big chunks o'meat. He also has a $22K Klose and a $5500 Klose pig roaster.

bigwheel wrote:Well sounds like you squatting in tall cotton to me. The only problemos I ever heard about em is the rotess get stuck in the ferris wheel mode and dump all the meat in the bottton of the pit..which wasnt too easy to retrieve cuz of the rotess being a hinderance to unfettered access to the bottom. For the firebox placement and such thangs..I thought it was a purty good idear. Congrats on buying it cheap. Remeber a little rust never hurt anybody...it good for a person.

bigwheel

Caldwell, Texas Native
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:09 am

Don't worry about the pic size, I prefer this way. 8)

Looks like you are going to have a nice cooker when you get done with it!

Keep us posted...
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:15 pm

DJ, how about an update on the hog roaster. :D Is it getting close to done or is it done already?? :D
Jim
ynot?!
Pilgrim

Postby ynot?! » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:59 am

congrats! I too see lots of potential......
Just my opinion, I could be wrong!
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Actually, it's supposed to hit the fab shop tomorrow, weather permitting. Got busy with a bunch of other stuff, then November/hunting...wow, the time has flown. Anyway, we should get started on it shortly.
Thanks fer asking and will post pics as we progress.
dj

Caldwell, Texas Native
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:50 am

Well, with all the snow we've had here, "tomorrow" finally came last Friday, 1/9/9.....stopped by yesterday, (Saturday), and the doors are off as well as a lot of rust. Revising the lift, (was a seized up threaded rod configuratin which you can see in one of the pics) on an added inside damper which runs the length of the firebox....Considering mirror finished Stainless (which should look kinda good up against the black) for the doors....had not planned on the SS, (stuff is normally $1000 for a 1/4x4x8 sheet) but my friend/fab guy thinks he can get a sheet reasonally priced.....time will tell....will try to get some pics if I make it over there today, (not a "real" shop, but a talented/retired friend who likes to putter with stuff like this in his garage).
More to come......
near white-out conditions as I write, might get snowed in, lol..........
dj

DJ wrote:Actually, it's supposed to hit the fab shop tomorrow, weather permitting. Got busy with a bunch of other stuff, then November/hunting...wow, the time has flown. Anyway, we should get started on it shortly.
Thanks fer asking and will post pics as we progress.
dj

Caldwell, Texas Native
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Still have a bit to do, including a front hinged shelf, wood box on tongue, upper racks, thermometers and another coat of paint. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Here's where it has progressed to....dj
Sanding Stage
Fire Box Damper
Doors Off and Center Cut Out
Added an ash catcher below the FB
Added Doors
Added Counterweights and Handles to doors
Big rack in, 3 smaller ones going on top, top angle bar snaps out to remove upper racks to make room for a hog or two....

Caldwell, Texas Native

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”