44hr burn on WSM

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

44hr burn on WSM

Postby JamesB » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:58 pm

As much as I love my UDSs, they still can't touch the WSM for burn time. Fired up the WSM at 11:00pm Saturday 06/07 with a full ring of Rancher briquettes and toped that with about 20 or so Kingsford briquettes that were left in another bag. I had hickory and mesquite chunks mixed in. Started about 1/4 chimney of coals and tossed them on top of the full ring to start with the Minion method... Top vent wide open, 1 bottom vent maybe 1/16th" open. Maintained ~235° during the cook and into last night.

Long story short, when I too the brisket off on Sun, 06/08, I decided to just let the WSM burn... Granted the weather has been hot here, near 100° the last couple of days and the WSM has not had food in it in over 30hrs but...

Some 44+hrs after startup, I went out to clean up the WSM (8pm 06/09)and noticed that the temp gauge was still reading a bit over 100° (it's in 70s here right now). Took the top and mid section off and this is what I found...

ImageImage
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:44 am

I'm really surprised at you and a little sad. :? All that extra burn time and no meat on the grill. :shock: For shame - for shame. :P :lol: :lol:

All joking aside, that is an amazing burn time. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:01 am

I hear ya Jim... Had I been better prepared (and more observant), I would have had some fish or cheese to put on there, at least for the last few hours for a good cold smoke! :lol:

I was totally surprised to see that it was still going! I finally closed all of the vents and will get it cleaned up today...

James.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:31 am

One bottom vent? Wow. I can't do that with this base. My 1st one (before I sent it back for being out of round) I could close up pretty good, but this one takes a little more air.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:04 am

Yes sir... one bottom vent, only open about 1/16 inch. In cooler temps or windy conditions, I need to open it up a bit more.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 am

Maybe it's the thin air in my neck of the woods. My WSM wants to settle in the mid 230* or mid 260* despite how I play with the vent. The highest I've gotten it is 269* with all vents wide open. Maybe I need to add a vent to the lid but am putting that off hoping it's just a matter of getting more time on the cooker. Only 3 cooks todate.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:28 am

I guess my problem is I leave all vents open about 1/2 way, I can never get through a long cook without having to refuel :?
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:31 am

I, too, have had problems with getting higher temps. I do the minion method for most cooks, but I have decided that for higher temp, as for chicken, I am going to have to light more coals and settle for a shorter burn time. For chicken, it shouldn't matter.
Cooking at 225 or so, I can breathe easy - burns as long as I need.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:57 am

SteerCrazy wrote:I guess my problem is I leave all vents open about 1/2 way, I can never get through a long cook without having to refuel :?

The only time I ever had to refuel, it was my own fault for not putting in enough to start with...not sure why you and Dat's running out of fuel on these... :dont:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

Postby aks801 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Question for ya: I have an ECB currently, and I don't think it has a large enough diameter to handle a full-size brisket (think, 13 pound packer). Is the WSM a larger diameter, one that can handle this size?

I don't want to have to fold part of it underneath.

FWIW, I'll be doing some mods to my ECB (holes in the pan with a grate, to allow for better airflow), but I can't help but think that the WSM will really help me get where I want to go.
alan in Katy, TX

Weber OTS Kettle. Weber 22.5 WSM
Gone but not forgotten: ECB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:14 pm

I think mine is 18". The small end is going to be burnt anyway so flip it up against the side. As the packer cooks it will shrink.

I've 12.5 packers in Einstein with good results using the above principle.

You could always cut the last couple inches off and cook along side. Would make for some eats while you're waiting for the mothership to dock. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:24 pm

bowhnter wrote:
SteerCrazy wrote:I guess my problem is I leave all vents open about 1/2 way, I can never get through a long cook without having to refuel :?

The only time I ever had to refuel, it was my own fault for not putting in enough to start with...not sure why you and Dat's running out of fuel on these... :dont:

I just run my vents open too much. I've tried to keep 2 vents 1/2 open and close one but had a hard time keeping the temp up. I will say though, that in warmer temps I don't have that problem. Also I live up on a slight hill so it's always windy even if the wind isin't blowin :roll: :D
aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

Postby aks801 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks, Deputy Dave. Think I'm gonna email the Mrs. with a link to the WSM. Dad's Day comin' up, you know.

Your avatar looks familiar, but I just can't place it. I'd say you should go into the movies, but "a man's gotta know his limitations".
alan in Katy, TX

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:47 pm

aks801 wrote:Thanks, Deputy Dave. Think I'm gonna email the Mrs. with a link to the WSM. Dad's Day comin' up, you know.

Your avatar looks familiar, but I just can't place it. I'd say you should go into the movies, but "a man's gotta know his limitations".

I got mine 0n the net for $199 with free shipping. Amazon I've heard said has 'em for $190 but don't know about shipping costs. Now if you got a fist full of dollars your local dealer will sell you one for $299 +sales tax but they'll have to order it. :lol:

Watched Unforgiven last nite. Great movie.
Bet one of Sister Sarah's mules would taste right good coming off a WSM :roll:
Deputy Dave

aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

Postby aks801 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:05 pm

As I recall, Sister Sarah was hot! I'll probably burn for that one, along with a guy named Josie Wales.

Seriously, I'll tinker with my ECB as long as I have to, but if I can somehow persuade the CFO to help us step on up to the WSM (enough acronyms already!) I just think I could make progress that much faster.
alan in Katy, TX

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”