New member here.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

New member here.

Postby 4x4balls » Fri May 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Im new to this forum, just wanted to say hello to everyone. After researching on several forums, I finally decided to get myself a smoker and do the necessary mods on it. I live in Los Angeles, so true BBQ is pretty much unknown around here. If you say BBQ to anyone, they think of GRILLING. I decided to start off small so i went to home depot and got myself a Silver Smoker. For $160 its a pretty good deal. Last year i spent 6000 on a Lynx LP Grill with one of those lame "wood chip boxes". The grill works great for steaks and stuff, but not for smoking. Too much smoke escapes from the vents and the temperature is very difficult to regulate. So here i am with my new pit. I've also included pictures of the Mods, if you guys notice anything im doing wrong, please let me know.

This is the exhaust mod, i used aluminum flashing to recess the shaft down to grate height. Also the baffle mod.

So anyway, just wanted to say hello and im open to all suggestions you may have. -Todd
Last edited by 4x4balls on Fri May 30, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri May 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Welcome Todd... Glad that you found us.

First of, nice view!!! I bet it's nice at night!

I bet that smoker will work just fine. I have a CharGriller which is similar to yours. The only mod that I have made is the extension on the exhaust stack.

I also just built a drum smoker and am getting the kinks work out of it. I think that it's gonna be a great smoker though!

I hope that you learn to enjoy grilling/smoker like th rest of us have. It's a blast!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri May 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Welcome Todd...those are the two mods I did the my chargriller before I sold it...
Sounds like you are on your way, and indeed, we like pics of your cooks...post often!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri May 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Hey 4x4 thats a nice lookin veiw over your smoker there...welcome to the forum.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Welcome 4x4balls! Glad to have here on the forum... That is a fantastic view ya got yerself there... As far as the smoker, looks like your well on your way!

Good luck with your cook and keep us posted on your progress!

James.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Aloha and Welcome Todd ,

Yep you have made some great mods on your pit and I am sure it will work. You are 100% correct about true BBQ being unknown in LA or on the West Coast for that matter. Lived in Pasadena and Monterey Park for a total of 19 years before relocating to the Pacific Northwest about 29 years ago. Don't recognize the skyline but the hills look like the San Gabriels near San Fernando Valley. :roll:

Been cooking for a very long time and did a lot of kalua (Hawaiian in the ground bbq) and rotiss'n whole hogs plus tons of grilling. I got interested in bbq about a year ago and started off like you with a smoker and modified it as you did. Worked okay.

Decide to "get real" and ordered a Gator Pit, 24x48 w/ upright. I have had for a couple of months now and am still "practicing." :oops:

This forum is the best, IMHO... very friendly and eager to share information. I think you will enjoy it here.

Thanks for the pics and they do like pics here! :) Take care and post often.

a hui hou,
honu41
4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

Postby 4x4balls » Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 pm

honu41 wrote:Aloha and Welcome Todd ,

Yep you have made some great mods on your pit and I am sure it will work. You are 100% correct about true BBQ being unknown in LA or on the West Coast for that matter. Lived in Pasadena and Monterey Park for a total of 19 years before relocating to the Pacific Northwest about 29 years ago. Don't recognize the skyline but the hills look like the San Gabriels near San Fernando Valley. :roll:

Been cooking for a very long time and did a lot of kalua (Hawaiian in the ground bbq) and rotiss'n whole hogs plus tons of grilling. I got interested in bbq about a year ago and started off like you with a smoker and modified it as you did. Worked okay.

Decide to "get real" and ordered a Gator Pit, 24x48 w/ upright. I have had for a couple of months now and am still "practicing." :oops:

This forum is the best, IMHO... very friendly and eager to share information. I think you will enjoy it here.

Thanks for the pics and they do like pics here! :) Take care and post often.

a hui hou,

The skyline you are seeing is of downtown Glendale. I pass through Pasadena daily. Thanks for all the support and the compliments of the view from everyone. Here's a shot at night. I can't wait to master BBQing and sit with some beers watchin the view, waiting for my meat to cook.
Last edited by 4x4balls on Fri May 30, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing more disappointing than a well done steak.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm

welcome aboard!
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey 4x4balls... thanks for clearing up my confusion. I wasn't too far off. :) when I left I don't think there were any buildings more that couple stories high in Glendale. I worked for LA County Flood Control as a hydrographer and worked in San Gabriel Valley to San Fernando Valley.

a hui hou,
honu41
4x4balls USER_AVATAR
4x4balls
Pilgrim

Postby 4x4balls » Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 pm

they moved my post around.
There's nothing more disappointing than a well done steak.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Hey 4X4, welcome to the forum!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:26 am

Welcome 4x4.

bigwheel
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:21 pm

Ah, the view is great, but even better, perched up high like that, with a good wind, you'll be able to drive thousands of people nuts with the smell of great BBQ wafting down from your balcony!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”