What is the best barbecue?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Keenbbq
Pilgrim

What is the best barbecue?

Postby Keenbbq » Thu May 22, 2008 10:26 am

The biggest question which I get asked is "whats better a Charcoal BBQ or a Gas BBQ?". The simple answer to this question is they both will deliver the same taste and result. The question you really should ask yourself when purchasing a barbecue is how much do you use it?

A charcoal barbecue is ideal for anyone who only uses it a couple of times a year. Charcoal barbecues are cheap and easy to setup.

Gas barbecues are more suited to people who intend on getting alot of use out of it. Gas barbecues are more exspensive to buy to start of with but are alot cheaper on fuel and if your using it alot then this is where you will get your money back.

The most important thing you must look for when purchasing a barbecue weather it be charcoal or gas is that it has at least a ten year warranty. This warranty is proof of the quality. My personal favourite barbecue has to be the Smokey Joe Portable as it has a ten year warranty and is a mear £24.99. I have used mine at home and away for music festivals and camping trips.

What is your personal favourite barbecue? and why?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu May 22, 2008 10:41 am

Opinions? OK.

Well, Charcoal is better than gas. All hardwood, or hardwood coals are better than charcoal... So gas is better than nothing.

There is no comparison in the resulting taste between charcoal/wood and gas.

Gas grills are convenient, I even own a few, but I mainly use them when in a hurry. I cook over charcoal/wood every weekend I'm home and usually several times a week.

My wood burning offsets cost much more than my gas grills. Neither of my trailered offsets came with any kind of warranty, but then again, they were both much more than 10 years old when I got them. They are still going strong.

I too like the Weber Smokey Joe grill. I have one that sees regular use. Both of my daughters received Smokey Joes for Christmas presents last year and I've even got a spare still new in the box out in the shed (I found some on clearance a while back).

My favorite appliances to BBQ with? My large offsets, my UDSs, My WSM. What do I like to grill on? My Weber kettles, Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Genesis Silver C propane grill (in that order)... :lol:

I ain't against gas, I just prefer good old wood smoke!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

James.
Keenbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Keenbbq » Thu May 22, 2008 10:46 am

I think alot of people prefer the good old fashioned option. It is a truly portable option that can be enjoyed anywhere. I used my Smokey Joe down at Newquay Beach a couple of weeks back.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:23 am

Aloha,

Well I been using wood/charcoal for over 50 years but gassers do have their own niche in the world of cooking. In my opinion, wood/charcoal imparts a flavor to the cook that cannot be duplicated in a gasser. Try using cedar and other softwoods or even driftwood off the beach.... it is noticeable.

I have a Gator 24 X 48, a Brinkman offset, 2 large rotisseries (for whole hogs) and 1 smaller (for large roasts or fowl), a Casa China, 4 ea 22.5" Weber kettles, 2 small grills and 3 gassers (all 3 in storage).

I use a Weber to grill for just the wife and I, several time a week in spring, summer and fall, even though the convenience of turning on a gasser is available.

Like James, I am not against gassers... but prefer the results of cooking with wood/charcoal.

a hui hou,
honu41
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 22, 2008 11:50 am

I have a pair of ceramics, a new WSM (still on the learning curve), a Weber 22.5", a Weber Smokey Joe, and a gasser. I run the ceramics on Lump, the Webers on charcoal. The gasser doesn't get alot of use.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: What is the best barbecue?

Postby TX Sandman » Thu May 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Welcome aboard, Keenbbq! Whew, you came in with a loaded post.

Keenbbq wrote:The biggest question which I get asked is "whats better a Charcoal BBQ or a Gas BBQ?". The simple answer to this question is they both will deliver the same taste and result. The question you really should ask yourself when purchasing a barbecue is how much do you use it?

Another question you need to ask is how much fiddling with the grill do you want to do? Gas grills are on-off and adjust heat with a dial. Charcoal, you have to manually set up different heat zones and move food from hot to cool spots as it cooks.

Keenbbq wrote:A charcoal barbecue is ideal for anyone who only uses it a couple of times a year. Charcoal barbecues are cheap and easy to setup.

Cheaper, yeas, easier to put together, yes. Easier to use, depends. There's a big learning curve with coal or wood. But the flavor is better, IMO. Coal grills are easier to store for long periods, as long as the ash is cleaned out. Seen too many grills rust out over the winter months.

Keenbbq wrote:Gas barbecues are more suited to people who intend on getting alot of use out of it.

Gas is good for the "set and forget" people. Light a burner, adjust the temp with a knob, turn the burners off and your done. Gas doesn't add much flavor, but it's usually easier to work with, IMO. Fuel costs, you may be right. I think my propane cost is cheaper than coal for most cooks, but either cost isn't much for my cooks.

Keenbbq wrote:The most important thing you must look for when purchasing a barbecue weather it be charcoal or gas is that it has at least a ten year warranty. This warranty is proof of the quality.

I've seen grills with 10-year warranties that were junk. The companies folded after a couple of years, and replacement parts were nonexistent. Personally, I look for a recommended brand, preferably one with a long history. That way I know they'll be around if I need parts or have questions.

Keenbbq wrote:What is your personal favourite barbecue? and why?

Personal favorite is my Weber kettle. It's easy to use and can be set up to do direct and indirect cooking, as well as slow cooking. An after-market addition also adds a rotisserie. It's big enough to satisfy a good-sized group, but is small enough for easy storage.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 pm

I would guess that what is considered BBQ here and the way it is cooked is different here than what BBQ is in the UK. True BBQ is low and slow, most of what I see on your site is for grilling. Which do you sell the most of over there? :D Grills or smokers?
Myself, I prefer wood, charcoal, lump charcoal for most cooking. :D I have a gas grill and I do use it, but I prefer using a Weber kettle for grilling. :D
I noticed you are a Weber dealer, are they your best seller?? :D
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu May 22, 2008 4:44 pm

OSD wrote:I would guess that what is considered BBQ here and the way it is cooked is different here than what BBQ is in the UK.

My understanding is American style, slow smoked food is almost unknown across the pond. American "grilling" is British "barbecuing".
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:18 pm

I have several different types of cookers, including 1 electric kettle cooker. But in my opinion:
Nothing can compare with barbecue cooked over mesquite coals after they have burned until they don't flame. The best mesquite has lain on the ground so long that the bark has all come off.
Stan41
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Yep what we got here is a geographical and cultural difference. Welcome to the forum Keenbbq and I'd like to have you come to Texas to see what we mean by BBQ over here. I have two Traeger 075s and a Ole Hickory SSE and a Weber Kettle and lastly a gasser. The Traegers get the most use because they do a great job and are as easy to use as can be.

Traeger 075
http://www.traegerindustries.com/grills/texas.cfm

Ole Hickory SSE
http://www.olehickorypits.com/prod.aspx ... &ProdID=22
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Ya know it is catching on over there. The World BBQ Association, has contests all over Europe. They send me emails advertising their events. And, I got a few pits in the Gallery that are from Europe. Infact, I'm expecting a pic from Amsterdam soon. 8) :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm

They've had teams competing at the "Jack" for years and winning. :D
Jim
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:49 pm

I make lots of different styles of barbecue. Even make a concoction in my slow cooker that I call Crock Pot Barbecue (it isn't, but it is good).
In my book, true old time Texas barbecue has to be:
Cooked over an open pit in the ground.
Cooked with mesquite coals.
Has to be beef. (shoulder clod preferred)
Rubbed with salt and black pepper before cooking.
Basted occasionally with a basting sauce.
An elderly Mexican man who was cooking gave me the recipe for basting sauce:
A leetle water
A leetle vinegar
A leetle butter
A leetle onion
A leetle garlic
A leetle Comino seed.

Keep hot and baste while cooking barbecue.

Should be cooked 12-14 hours.
Under no circumstances should tomatoes, ketchup, or any other tomato products be used in the cooking process. Add some of this stuff on your plate if you want it.

My opinion.
Stan41
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 22, 2008 5:58 pm

Good Lawdy Stan...you has messed around and hit the nail squarely on the head here. Best bbq in the world comes from mesquite shoveled coals used in the the direct method. Now If it boiled down to Kingsford briquettes or even lump..I can't tell it adds much to the flavor profile. Might as well be using gas in my book. At least it a heckuva lot less trouble. Whut you got to remember about Limeys and Aussies is they use the word bbq as a noun where we use it as a noun..verb...adjective..adverb and pregnant participle. Thats why they dont uderstand the difference twixt offset pits and weber kettles. As you see them are both nouns sure Mrs. Stan would know if you want to axe her about it just to double check the math etc.

bigwheel

Stan41 wrote:I have several different types of cookers, including 1 electric kettle cooker. But in my opinion:
Nothing can compare with barbecue cooked over mesquite coals after they have burned until they don't flame. The best mesquite has lain on the ground so long that the bark has all come off.
Stan41
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 pm

I'll have to agree with most of ya leaning towards the woods for Que-ing, and even charcoal. Now if one charcoal had to be used I'd have to say Kingsford is the only one to use, I've tried a bunch of others with not so great results.

Now as for the Mesquite thing, I'm gonna lean towards Pecan for cooking but mesquite is also good.

Now as for the grill thing, we BBQ just about every night, I have a gasser which I rarely use unless I'm in some big hurry, maybe once or twice a year. But we have a couple cords of Pecan and Hickory wood and some Maple in the storage under the Stairs and we restock about once a month with fresh dry wood. As for anything electric it wouldnt be thought of.

Our family Que's alot and if its up to them then wood with the low and slow technique is the only way to go.

We cook on our custom smokers and que's
It's not burnt till I say so

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”