Charcoal

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Charcoal

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Since the WSM (which hasn't been named yet) seems to be a charcoal guzzler I took a trip to Costco. Got 38# of regular Kingsford for .36 cents a pount ($13.68 for two bags) but I couldn't find any lump. Stopped at King Soopers (Kroger) a got a bag of Kingsford Lump which I've never tried before. Safeway stopped selling Laszario and I don't like the Cowboy Brand stuff I bought last time so hopefully I'll like the Kingsford lump. :? In any case, I shouldn't be needing charcoal in the near future :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon May 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Never cooking on a ceramic, not sure how to compare the charcoal use to that. I can get 14+ hours on a load of 50/50 RO lump/Kingsford briquettes.
As long as anything I would cook on the WSM.
How wide open are your bottom vents? Is the center section tight? I had to turn mine a little to be tight with the lid and bottom...
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon May 19, 2008 7:52 pm

18 hours is not unheard of with a load. I don't know how or why you are going thru so much charcoal. I usually put a layer of briquettes on the bottom and lump the rest of the way. I use about 12 -15 briquettes in a chimney to start.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 19, 2008 7:54 pm

bowhnter wrote:Never cooking on a ceramic, not sure how to compare the charcoal use to that. I can get 14+ hours on a load of 50/50 RO lump/Kingsford briquettes.
As long as anything I would cook on the WSM.
How wide open are your bottom vents? Is the center section tight? I had to turn mine a little to be tight with the lid and bottom...

With Einstein, I can get 3 twelve hour burns with a small bag of lump with a little let over. The WSM used about 5# of charcoal over 6.5 hours with temps between 235 and 291 as measured by a Maverick ETsomthing. The ash pan is nearly full. This was the first burn on this cooker. Since it has an enamel finish, I let it burn for 3 hours so I could start the learning curve. I've heard they burn hot for the first couple of cooks.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote:18 hours is not unheard of with a load.

I can attest to 24+ hour burns on a, single, full charcoal ring in the my WSM (this was during the spring/summer time with little to no wind). I always thought of that as pretty good... Now them ceramic things do have better fuel consumption habits, but the WSM won't shatter if it tips over... :lol: :shock: :lol:

James.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue May 20, 2008 6:22 am

I can't remember what kind or if you mentioned the chaarcoal used on the first burn, but hopefully the K will work better for you. Can you get Royal Oak lump there?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 20, 2008 8:18 am

Mike,
First burn was just regular old Kingsford, albeit a year or more old. Can't get any kind of Royal Oak here. :(
Deputy Dave

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 am

I scored some Original Charcoal Lump at Costco this past weekend. 20lbs for around $8. I always seem to blow through lump for some reason but I like the Original Charcoal (Rancher), we'll see how it does in the WSM and the Spicewine
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Tue May 20, 2008 7:32 pm

Academy is carrying B&B Lump for $9.99 for a 20# bag.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”