Goofy ideas that work!

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Puck
Pilgrim

Goofy ideas that work!

Postby Puck » Sun May 11, 2008 2:56 am

I didnt see a topic that this would fit in, sooo.....

If you know a farmer that uses a disc to plow with, ask him for his cracked (or broken disc if he has the other part). 20"ers works great for frying up a mess of fish. It works like a Wok. Great for putting right down on the coals when camping. Just season it like you would a skillet.
Background here: Most disc are made from a very good steel (4340 or 4130 I would guess) so if its cracked or busted I weld it back with either stainless rod or 7018. Most disc come with a 1" sq hole which is no problem to weld up, grind down then finish with a sanding disc on a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

I also have a dandy little fish cooking/ turkey fryin/ crawdad boiling rig that I made from two 15" Chevrolet wheels, burner out of a water heater, some re-bar and a short piece of 4" pipe.

Also, Alimight <sp> greeserts...ta heck with it.....GREESE FITTING! also work great as an orifice for propain. Just grind a little off the threaded end to take out the spring and ball. In a pinch, I once silver sorderd one to the end of an old 5/16 push rod (after cutting the ends off) out of my jet-boat, I was short on tubing that day. Im still using it...
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:05 am

Great idea! I already beat you to it.
I got a disk, had a welder friend weld a horse shoe on each side for handles, and weld a piece of 4" X 4" X 1/8" steel on the bottom so that it would sit flat and steady on the kitchen stove or camp stove. Works better than any wok I ever saw.
Stan
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Sun May 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah those things are most excellent, Ive got 2 welded together one above the other with about 4" of space between the two and I load the bottom one with charcoal or hot coals, then put Fajitas and veggies in the top plate disk. Try this it is the most awesome thing Ive seen, we have 3 of these built and we use them quite a bit.
It's not burnt till I say so
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Goofy ideas that work!

Postby TX Sandman » Sun May 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Puck wrote:I also have a dandy little fish cooking/ turkey fryin/ crawdad boiling rig that I made from two 15" Chevrolet wheels, burner out of a water heater, some re-bar and a short piece of 4" pipe.

I've seen some cast propane burners in Academy recently. Wonder if I could make a burner rig outta one.

Love the disc idea. I'll have to see if I can find one somewhere.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”