FIREBOX SIZE QUESTION

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

flexster
Pilgrim

FIREBOX SIZE QUESTION

Postby flexster » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:57 am

Does an undersized fire box cause a smoker to burn more fuel? Based on the Feldon's calculator the LSG 20" series smokers, the firebox is more than adequate. Folks that own the LSG 20" series smokers say they are very fuel efficient. Could the more than adequate firebox be the reason the burn so efficiently?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: FIREBOX SIZE QUESTION

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 am

I’m not sure about the calculations behind it but I can tell you I use the fire management basket in that smoker and routinely get about an hour burn out of one of the bagged cooking woods from that exact smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:00 pm

flexster wrote:Does an undersized fire box cause a smoker to burn more fuel? Based on the Feldon's calculator the LSG 20" series smokers, the firebox is more than adequate. Folks that own the LSG 20" series smokers say they are very fuel efficient. Could the more than adequate firebox be the reason the burn so efficiently?

A slightly oversized firebox is what I always build. I believe it creates reserve heat/smoke and when tuned correctly will burn less fuel than a cooker with an undersized firebox.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
flexster
Pilgrim

Postby flexster » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:35 pm

Thanks guys for your replies. I've had an undersize firebox on a stick burner and happy that LSG has put a more than adequate firebox on their 20" series smokers.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”