New pit needs mods HELP

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

New pit needs mods HELP

Postby perryranch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 am

I had a pit given to me by a friend of mine. This sucker is a well built pit it is made of thick material(didn't get that measurement but would guess at least 1/4 in thick material) and it is heavy. We had to use a tractor to pick it up no way to do it with out one. The size of it is 24 inches long and 22 inches diameter. I want a side fire box added to but don't know what size would be best. We will be adding a shelf on two sides and I think I want the firebox to open from the top instead of the side. We will also be extending the smokestack down inside it as it's way to high. Which side would you add the firebox to I'm thinking the side with just the hole not the door. That way I can have to door to clean the pit out. Any other mods y'all can think of that need to be done to it.

Oh and I know it has a good tight fit around the top door of it.

Sorry for the blurry pics I'm not used to DH's camera if ya want I can take better pics Wed when we go out to the ranch again.

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:05 am

Nice find :D As for other mods, how about mounting a good thermometer on that pit?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigjim4x USER_AVATAR
Bigjim4x
Pilgrim

Postby Bigjim4x » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:43 pm

I think you will want to add the firebox on the other side than the smoke stack. You should make the firebox just about the size of the pit. Too much smaller and it won't have room to breathe. Locate the inlet from the firebox just about at the cooking grate level. When you extend the smoke stack inside also place it at about grate level. This will give you good smoke flow over the meat.
I'm Having So Much Fun, When I Die I Want To Come Back As Me!

Hurricane Smokers
Cooking Team

Proudly Sponsored By
SuckleBusters Texas Style Sauces & Seasonings
www.Sucklebusters.com
BBQr's Delight
www.bbqrsdelight.com
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks y'all

Dat without a doubt a thermometer is called for in fact that is the only thing I've gotten so far.

I want the smoke stack at grate level, that's how I have it on my chargriller but what should I use to extend it down.

As for the side firebox since the pit is 24 long and 20 wide should the firebox be a 20x20. I don't know were to put the lid for the firebox either. On one hand I want it at the top so it's easier to put the lump in but on the other hand I want it on the side so I can clean ash out easily. I guess if it's on the side I could always use the flame thrower to start my lump and/or wood.

If the firebox opens on the side there is another plus I can have shelving on three side vs. on two sides. BTW how wide should they make the shelving I was thinking at least 15in. How wide is y'alls.

I want to do this right cause this pit should last a long long time. Mind you it's only big enough for family Qing not partying Qing. But hey that's what the UDS will be right.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:40 pm

As far as the fire box, You could make it 20" square x20" long. The top of the fire box on the outside would be almost grate height when installed. It would be hard to put a shelf over it. It would be better used as a place to put a pot for warming or cooking or pre-heating logs for the fire. JMO
Side shelf could be almost any width you want. the front shelf you might want to keep a little narrower because of reaching over it to tend the meat in the smoker.
In the one pic I see the best tool for fixing the stack. Since it comes in from the end of the pit, I would use that torch and cut it off and cut a new hole for it down where you want it at and use the cutout piece for a plug for the old hole. just weld it back in the old hole. JMHO
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 pm

I gotta agree with everything OSD said! I thought I had an original post until I read his... almost verbatim what I was going to say... 'cept that part about the torch... I didn't see it...

James.
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 pm

great fined your friend don't know what they have loused but I bet you will let them know or should i say let them taste what they are missing :lol:
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Thank's again. LOL I didn't even think about making the fire box square I was thinking round but square works better, cause then as mentioned I'll have a cooking surface. I love the suggestion on the smoke stack that is so much better than extending it down inside. DH said it shouldn't be to hard either. LOL I don't have to do any of the welding just the designing and directing.

Oh and my friend knew exactly what she was doing, she knew I couldn't afford a real nice pit plus she's had my Q many times and loves it. I'll have to do is call her and saying I'm Qing and she'll be here as quick as she can. LOL

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”