Drum Smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:40 am

Need ideas for your UDS - you can go to BBQ Brethren forum - under search, type in UDS. grab a beer or two and read, read, read. If ya can't build one after that, well, you never will.
Built mine in one afternoon (after burn and scrape). Anyone near Greenville can go on Hwy. 69, just south of Greenville - all food grade drums. You can't miss the place.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:45 am

Hey Jack, the Brethren UDS thread is what inspired me to build a couple of new barrels. Lots of great information there for sure. The barrel I had been using for years was rusting away and the temp control was based on how many coals you slung in the bottom... It worked and produced some tasty eats, but the newer UDSs have great temp control and are much less labor intensive!

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:05 am

bigwheel wrote:Foreman's General Store 3900 T-26 in Colleyville got em.

I'm gonna have some words with Scott. Last I was there, I couldn't find 'em.

JaCK2U2 wrote:Anyone near Greenville can go on Hwy. 69, just south of Greenville - all food grade drums. You can't miss the place.

Wanna watch me try?

I have a sleep lab near there. Next time I'm in Greenville (like, tomorrow), I'll check them out.

:roll: darn, went from no sources to 3-4.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 am

TX Sandman wrote:
bigwheel wrote:Foreman's General Store 3900 T-26 in Colleyville got em.

I'm gonna have some words with Scott. Last I was there, I couldn't find 'em.

JaCK2U2 wrote:Anyone near Greenville can go on Hwy. 69, just south of Greenville - all food grade drums. You can't miss the place.

Wanna watch me try?

I have a sleep lab near there. Next time I'm in Greenville (like, tomorrow), I'll check them out.

:roll: darn, went from no sources to 3-4.

Rob, I havent heard from Doug's dad so I'm not gonna wait on him. I (actually ratmo) found some in Weatherford for $10, but don't know anything about them. Gonna try to get out there and take a look.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Found some on craigslist..http://dallas.craigslist.org/mat/599952419.html

Also Collin County Feed has 3 or 4 food grade locking lids $9 each 1-972-542-5011

Poole Feed in Wylie carries them I think around 12-15 bucks.. I buy from all the time ..always has stock.

Wells Brothers is out..

There are a few others but don't remember them..
Ken
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info, Ken.
Rob - TX Sandman

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:06 pm

TX Sandman wrote:Thanks for the info, Ken.

Hey Rob... Little does smoked know that he is helping the competition, huh??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:49 am

OK, when are you guys gonna quit talking about and build ya one!! :dont: :lol:
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:46 am

I'll have you know I'm still in "gathering info" mode. Probably in a couple of weeks or so, as I still have several projects to do around the house before I can start one of these.

I'm gonna talk to the Greenville guy this morning. I went by there last night. You're right, Jack. You *can't* miss it! Nothing like dozens of drums stacked in the front yard near the road with a big painted sign advertising "Barrels" to clue you in.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:06 am

nascarchuck wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:Thanks for the info, Ken.

Hey Rob... Little does smoked know that he is helping the competition, huh??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm you guys thinking of entering the cook off at Bass Pro this fall?? As for competition.. I'm just there to cook and have a good time.. No expectations on winning.. The grub I cook is fare to OK
Ken
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:43 am

Smoked wrote:Hmmm you guys thinking of entering the cook off at Bass Pro this fall?? As for competition.. I'm just there to cook and have a good time.. No expectations on winning.. The grub I cook is fare to OK

Yep, app's in and everything. Now it's a matter of learnin' how to cook. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 am

TX Sandman wrote:I'm gonna talk to the Greenville guy this morning. I went by there last night.

BTW, the place is about 3.5 miles south of 30 on the left side of the road.

Spoke to him today. $12 for closed-head drums, $12 for drums with removable heads, and $15 for drums with lever-lock lids. The closed-head drums were "fuel-oil", but the others were mostly food items.

I went ahead and got a lever-lock drum. It's got a little rust, but isn't too bad. The drum originally held grape juice, so it should be pretty tight.

Stay tuned for the debut of the Portable Old-School (P.O.S.) Smoker by Sandman Steelworks. Pics as I get 'er done.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:58 am

TX Sandman wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:I'm gonna talk to the Greenville guy this morning. I went by there last night.

BTW, the place is about 3.5 miles south of 30 on the left side of the road.

Spoke to him today. $12 for closed-head drums, $12 for drums with removable heads, and $15 for drums with lever-lock lids. The closed-head drums were "fuel-oil", but the others were mostly food items.

I went ahead and got a lever-lock drum. It's got a little rust, but isn't too bad. The drum originally held grape juice, so it should be pretty tight.

Stay tuned for the debut of the Portable Old-School (P.O.S.) Smoker by Sandman Steelworks. Pics as I get 'er done.

Be aware that some drums have a plastic coating on the inside. The stuff burns off pretty fast :roll: :wink: Also, the paint on the outside probally isn't high temp paint and that too will "burn" off. I experienced both phenominon the first time I used my "burn barrel". Thought for sure the fire department was going to show up :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks for the warning. I'm gonna have to be very careful when I do my burn-off, being in town and all.

I plan to grind off as much paint and liner as I can before the burn so I have less to worry about. From there, it'll be a couple coats of paint and into service.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:25 pm

TX Sandman wrote:
Smoked wrote:Hmmm you guys thinking of entering the cook off at Bass Pro this fall?? As for competition.. I'm just there to cook and have a good time.. No expectations on winning.. The grub I cook is fare to OK

Yep, app's in and everything. Now it's a matter of learnin' how to cook. :wink:

Cool beans...
Ken

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”