Propane tank sizes

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jrgreene1968
Pilgrim

Propane tank sizes

Postby jrgreene1968 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:39 pm

Wandering if someone could tell me the dimensions on a 250 gallon or smaller propane tank?
I’m wanting to build a smoker out of a propane tank, but don’t want it trailer mounted. Would like to build it for the back porch. I’m thinking I’d like something around 24” diameter up to 30” and about 48” long. I’ve looked at some of the pics posted on here of 250 gallon smokers, and they look huge.
The smoker I have now I bought several years ago, from a guy that built it, and have fought the temperature and fire till I’m ready to start over. It cooks good, but it’s a best to keep fire going. Firebox is to small, exhaust was to small (I changed stack)
I seen a 60 gallon propane tank, but I’m thinking that would be pretty small. I considered just buying pipe, but figured it would be nice to use a tank, since it already has end caps.
Thanks
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Propane tank sizes

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :texas: :tup: :salut:

There are lots of experts at building these Pits here and I'm sure they will be posting valuable information for you soon so just hang in there. Good Luck with your Project
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm

crazy question....
have you ever considered just buying a piece of pipe the size you want? I we did that years ago and as a group built several BBQ pits, of coarse there was about 5 of us so we helped each other and incorporated ideas as we went along. We did some really neat ideas by time we were through.. for what it is worth the only new steel we bought was the strech metal that we made the grills with all the rest came from a scrap iron yard. :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:41 pm

My RK-250 (since sold) ) was made out of a 250 gallon tank. It measured about 28" in diameter and 84" long - which included the end caps. The caps probably ate up a good 18-20" of space total so the shelf space was nowhere near 7 foot. Hope this helps. :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:37 pm

"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
jrgreene1968
Pilgrim

Postby jrgreene1968 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.. and thank you GTR , that’s what I was looking for, but my google skills suck.
And yes, I have considered just buying pipe, and might end up going that route if I don’t find a tank. I just liked the fact a tank already has the end caps. Thanks again y’all.. I’ve been lurking on this forum awhile.. that’s what got me wanting to finally just build the smoker I want. Oh and I’ve tried a few of the recipes I’ve found on here :)

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”