It wouldn't be wood would it?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

It wouldn't be wood would it?

Postby Grillatarian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:42 am

O.K.
Thought I would ask a wood question here.To soak or not to soak?
The whole log or chips? Pellets or foil packs? What's your thang?

I know for Oak I have my own special "signs" I look for. I like smaller pieces of oak with some natural moss on it.... for earthy accents!

A fellow smoker told me he uses pecan shells.... 'cause they produce a sweet smoke. True?

I've also heard that mesquite beans do quite well for flavor. I tired them once... but it didn't work out. They were quite green though and that may have been an issue. :wink:

Everyone knows that wood brings it home! Anybody care to share their favorite wood tips :?:
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:59 am

I use Pecan and Peach ( when I can get it ) mostly. I like their flavors the best and Apple if I can't get Peach. :D I don't soak anything, not even chips. I never have seen where it did much, if anything. :dont:
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:11 am

I use seasoned oak and hickory, mostly. I do not soak the wood. I do sometimes smoke wood chips for using on my grill.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:44 am

I do not soak anything, even if putting a small piece of mesquite or chips in the grill for steak or chicken.

I use hickory and pecan for brisket and butts, hickory and apple for turkey, pecan and apple or cherry for chicken.

Never tried pecan shells or mesquite beans. Was sent a few pouches of pellets of various flavors to use, but don't think too much of them.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:46 am

I use mesquite, pecan and apple chunks. Never have soaked em.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 am

I don't soak chunks or bigger, but will soak chips, especially the milder flavored ones like apple or cherry. They still burn pretty fast, but the moisture helps them to put off alot more smoke than they do when dry. That's been my experience anyways!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:18 am

For me, my favorite wood is pecan. In my kettle, I use unsoaked chunks for smoking. The chucks are fist-sized or slightly smaller.

For chunks of any wood, I don't soak. I haven't seen any evidence soaking works for chunks, because of size. Chips, I soak, but I've bought only 1 bag of chips and still have half of it. Logs, splits, and sticks, never used.

I've heard pecan shells work great. Haven't played with 'em, so I can't speak from experience. I have a pecan tree, so I may try that pretty soon.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 am

Mostly use pecan and oak. Never soak logs or chunks... ain't got no use for chips.

James.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Aloha,

I use alder, maple and apple in my kettles and my small horizontal. I used chunks once in a while but never soak any of them. Scored on a PU truckload of apple last weekend (free) and they have another tree coming down in a few weeks.

I know several tree service folks and I have a standing order for alder and maple. They bring truckloads of alder and maple chips but I never tried them. They are good size chips like the ones in the store so I see no reason NOT to use them......

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:02 pm

OK I don't soak anything anymore. Since I usually use my pellet cooker I tried soaking the pellets and OMG what a deal. You know those little pills they sell the kids that you put in a glass of water and the become a sea monster? Well the pellet soak is like that they get BIG and change shape! You know what a pile of damp sawdust looks like? Anyway I don't soak anything anymore, well......I still put the little pills in my bath water :oops: .
OK all seriosity aside don't soak, I like oak. If you have trouble with the wood chips bursting into flame and thereby producing little smoke just create a envelope out of HD foil and put the chips inside fold it closed and poke a bunch of toothpick holes in the top side of it and toss on the coals. This works on the gassers as well. A tip make sure it is generating smoke before you put the meat on as you get the most smoke flavor when the meat is cool.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Lump don't work too good when wet :roll: :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:04 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Lump don't work too good when wet :roll: :wink:

heck, I wouldn't know since I couldn't get to my grill even if I could stay warm! :lol:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:33 pm

copkid wrote:

heck, I wouldn't know since I couldn't get to my grill even if I could stay warm! :lol:

56* outside today, forcast is for mid 60s on Saturday with snow on Sunday. :P Told the Mrs to did out her Bikini so she can sun bath on Saturday. I can't print her reply here, being a Deputy and such, but I can attest it wouldn't be repeated in church. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:36 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
copkid wrote:

56* outside today, forcast is for mid 60s on Saturday with snow on Sunday. :P Told the Mrs to did out her Bikini so she can sun bath on Saturday. I can't print her reply here, being a Deputy and such, but I can attest it wouldn't be repeated in church. :wink:

Ahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great minds think alike! Good job Mrs. Dats!! 8) :wink:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:35 pm

I soak chips but not chunks. I use mainly hickory & oak in chunks. Chips I use apple & cherry mainly for chicken & turkey. Sometimes I use cherry with my ribs.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”