It wouldn't be wood would it?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Well, guess I should have said chips. I have used both soaked and dry. When I use chunk-o-wood or even smaller branches then it is all dry of course.
Never had much luck with the foil pouches, metal boxes or anything else on my gas grill. I was thinking about creating a little smoker box that would actually work with my grill. I like oak smoke on my burgers.

The problem with most of the ones I have used is getting them hot enough to produce a good amount of smoke..... and having that smoke circulate adequately around the meat. My grill just wasn't made for using smoke.

However- I think that a couple of metal boxs... properly spaced just between the heat/drip shields should work pretty good. They will have little legs so that they sit up above the burners.... but are also below the lowest edge of the drip shields, to allow heat and air to migrate upward.

Thanks for the list on using woods. I use mesquite for steaks, hickory for ribs, and an oak/hickory blend for almost everything else. I have a lot of oak and mesquite readily available but have to forage Hickory from a bag.

Honestly I haven't tried any fruit woods or even Pecan yet. I have a bag of Pecan hulls (left from the holidays) so I might set up a slow burn for them just to get a taste.
Saturday will be NICE, in the 70's... so the grill will be glowing!
r&rsmoke
Pilgrim

wet wood

Postby r&rsmoke » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:38 pm

I think it depends where you live ,if you have acess to oak,hickory,mesquite,woods no reason to soak wood but if all you have is a bag of kingsford or other brand of charcoal then by adding wet chunks or chips your are going to get more smoke.I have acess to alot of almond so that is what I use however I have tried adding a couple of treager pecan pellets right before putting meat on grill just to add a little more smoke which were not soaked.This seemed to give intense smoke but not very long about ten to fiveteen minutes then back to normal smoke,I think pellets are ok if you dot have acess to good wood to cook with,good luck.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”