Will this design work?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rmartin2
Pilgrim

Will this design work?

Postby rmartin2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 am

New here and my first post. I recently bought a new stick and mig welding machines and wanted to weld up my own grill/smoker. I have a 60 gallon and 33 gallon tank to use in my project and the thought is to use the
60 gallon as the grill side while using the 33 gallon for a vertical smoker with no fire box. Will this design work ok? I know I have seen a smoker at Academy that has a FB, grill, and vertical smoker so I'm guessing this should not
be much of a problem. Can anyone give advise on this?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Will this design work?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am

First of all, Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:

I'm sure there will be knowledgeable and experienced pit builder members and users replying to your post so hang in there and you should soon be getting the best info available on the WWW. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:49 am

rmartin2 wrote:New here and my first post. I recently bought a new stick and mig welding machines and wanted to weld up my own grill/smoker. I have a 60 gallon and 33 gallon tank to use in my project and the thought is to use the
60 gallon as the grill side while using the 33 gallon for a vertical smoker with no fire box. Will this design work ok? I know I have seen a smoker at Academy that has a FB, grill, and vertical smoker so I'm guessing this should not
be much of a problem. Can anyone give advise on this?

It would not be my first choice as the firebox to cook chamber difference is huge. Will it work? Yes probably once you figure out how to manage the heat/smoke going to the vertical chamber.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rmartin2
Pilgrim

Postby rmartin2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:24 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:First of all, Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:

Thanks OldUsedParts

K.A.M., Thanks for the input. Sounds like I would be better off making a separate grill and smoker. I might have just came into a 20 gallon tank I could use for a firebox for the 33 gallon tank.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”