High Altitude Pit builds

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Wolverine
Pilgrim

High Altitude Pit builds

Postby Wolverine » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:11 am

Has anyone built a pit for use at higher altitudes ? Curious about modifications to make rig function properly at higher elevation.

I had not given this much thought, but talking with a friend, about pit build I am planning to take to mountain cabin in Colorado, and he was quick to point out that he had built one in Texas, as a gift for his sister in Colorado, only to find out that it did not have sufficient air uptake to operate at the higher elevation.

Wanting to know about how others have overcome these issues ??? Input appreciated, muchas gracias :dont: :fiestanana:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: High Altitude Pit builds

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 am

By no means I am not knocking your friends ability to build a cooker but have you given any thought into maybe it was the cooker that was not designed right from the get go?
I am fully confident one of my builds would perform in higher elevations. Now it may not act as it does here in Texas but after about two hours of burn time I would have it figured out.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
tantrum95 USER_AVATAR
tantrum95
Pilgrim

Re: High Altitude Pit builds

Postby tantrum95 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am

I agree with K.A.M. if you follow Feldon's smoker calculator the smoker should run at any altitude. I sized mine a little on the bigger side of the what the calculator suggested and it works great. I live and use mine mostly at 4,000 feet and have used it at 6,600 feet, no noticeable difference in performance.
•It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”